Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

jacks1071

Re: Speedplay - the good the great and the the ugly

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:53 pm

DaveOZ wrote:Oh, You mean the plate on the bottom. Sorry I'm being thick. :roll:

May be able to make those. It worries me that the screw heads might wear down on mine to the point that they won't come out. I think they should be recessed a bit further. Actually titanium would be excellent for that bottom plate.
I made some in my garage one day as I needed them for a bike fit and they looked well, like someone had made them in their garage - did the trick but Dave's look factory :-)

The factory plates are $20-$30 for the pair, I'm sure they could be made for far less if you had the tools.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:52 pm

Geez, I know you guys love 'em for your knees and stuff, and bless Speedplays if you they enable you to keep riding for those reasons, but this thread is enough to turn any prospective 'average' Speedplay users off for life. What a lot of faffing about for pedals/cleats. :shock:

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Jean wrote:Geez, I know you guys love 'em for your knees and stuff, and bless Speedplays if you they enable you to keep riding for those reasons, but this thread is enough to turn any prospective 'average' Speedplay users off for life. What a lot of faffing about for pedals/cleats. :shock:
LOL I guess that is a fair comment,
but after all, if you pedal for 6 hours, pedal and saddle comfort become a high priority.

On another note guys,
How often to you change cleats?

qeaou

Postby qeaou » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:02 pm

twizzle wrote:
qeaou wrote:On another note, big difference between stainless steel and titaniums?
Mostly to your wallet. No real-world differences, anyway.

Sent from my iThingy...
I guess I must agree, I saw this post too late, already got zero titanium,
rode 300km or so, saw no real difference

NhiTrac

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:46 pm

qeaou wrote:
Jean wrote:Geez, I know you guys love 'em for your knees and stuff, and bless Speedplays if you they enable you to keep riding for those reasons, but this thread is enough to turn any prospective 'average' Speedplay users off for life. What a lot of faffing about for pedals/cleats. :shock:
but after all, if you pedal for 6 hours, pedal and saddle comfort become a high priority.

On another note guys,
I haven't changed mine in 7500km...
FOCUS Cayo
BMC Teammachine SLR01

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:02 pm

NhiTrac wrote:
qeaou wrote:

On another note guys,
I haven't changed mine in 7500km...
Shimano every 3-4 months and half that for Leos.

Speedplays are at 9 months and counting

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk 2
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

dale79

Postby dale79 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:01 pm

i got some of the keep on covers for them, they are gold.. see how long they last for tho

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:31 pm

Cleats last for ages just give em a quick spray with dry lube and your away - I use the cafe covers whenever not on my bike makes for safer walking and protects the cleats as well.

I have commuted with mine for the last 7 months (2x30km) daily rain hail or shine and they have been prefect - faster clipping in at lights than other pedals.
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any recent solutions to the lateral rocking issue with the Speedplays. I ride a lot and the clip spring in the cleat, the adaptor plate for the shoe, the pedal body and the spindle wear out quickly. I use the keep on covers thinking they would make the cleats last forever, but looks like I need to buy a whole new cleat set just to replace the clip spring in any case. I purchased a lightly used set of titanium pedals, but the rocking is still there.

What are people doing these days? These seem to be the options:

1) buy a cro-mo set and put them on my titanium spindles - use the new cleats
2) buy a body kit and put them on the old spindle
3) buy after market titanium bow ties and put them on the worn pedal bodies
4) try to find after market spring clips for the cleats

5) try the pave' models in the hope the lateral rocking doesn't occur in those models

or

6) get some dura ace pedals

Your thoughts are appreciated.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:11 pm

my only solution is just to get new pedals and cleats.

I tried new pedals old cleats and old pedals new cleats, rocking still occurs on both setups.

would love to hear about experiences from the pave models as well, although they are probably priced out of my range anyway.

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:46 pm

Thanks for your answer.

I suppose with the pave' model you'll be looking at new cleats only, as surely the pedal body can not wear out. Perhaps there'll still be cleat contact with the spindle, but that remains to be seen.

At this rate, I'm looking at a new set of pedals about every year. This is with two sets of shoes and two sets of cleats. I've lessened the floating as I don't need as much as I thought. I think this may lead to premature wear as your foot rotates.

At the moment I'm thinking of trying the Dura Ace, but want to exhaust the speedplay options first.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:32 am

J Quinton wrote:Bumping this thread to see if anyone has any recent solutions to the lateral rocking issue with the Speedplays. I ride a lot and the clip spring in the cleat, the adaptor plate for the shoe, the pedal body and the spindle wear out quickly. I use the keep on covers thinking they would make the cleats last forever, but looks like I need to buy a whole new cleat set just to replace the clip spring in any case. I purchased a lightly used set of titanium pedals, but the rocking is still there.

What are people doing these days? These seem to be the options:4) try to find after market spring clips for the cleats

1) buy a cro-mo set and put them on my titanium spindles - use the new cleats
2) buy a body kit and put them on the old spindle
3) buy after market titanium bow ties and put them on the worn pedal bodies

5) try the pave' models in the hope the lateral rocking doesn't occur in those models

or

6) get some dura ace pedals

Your thoughts are appreciated.
New pedals & cleats - they charge too much for the spares.

If you are running X-series, I've found the new V2 cleats will stop the rocking even on a well worn set of pedals as they have a bigger contact/engagement area on the pedal. The V2 springs will be grabbing parts of your pedal that are brand new and untouched by the older springs.

I've personally changed to Shimano Ultegra pedals as all my speedplay pedals were up for replacement - but - I'm not sure if this will be a permanent change as yet as we are still getting to know each other...
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

J Quinton

Postby J Quinton » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi jacks,

I've bought a set of shimano pedals too and will see how they go. A shame as I've invested a fair bit in Speedplay over the years.

I had the zero series, for what it's worth.

The combination of dirt in the c clip/spring, plus the float (friction) wears the pedals too quickly.

Bought the Dura Ace model. I like to do 300+km audax rides and while a little rocking may seem insignificant, over a 16 hour period you can really damage body bits.