Page 1 of 1

Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:58 pm
by adrian_d
hey all,
I have a traditional style Headstem where the mount is in one piece, as a pose to a lot of the ones i've seen at he bicycle store:

I believe this style is called a quill stem
Image

Is it possible I can fit this style headstem in its place (I believe its called a AHEAD stem)
Image

I found these adaptors online:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pazzaz-Black ... 500wt_1054

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:30 pm
by Mulger bill
The adaptor looks like it will do the job. No idea how well it will work tho'.

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:38 pm
by adrian_d
With these sort of things is it best to stick with whats there? If it ain't broken.

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:46 pm
by Mulger bill
Big question.

I suppose the maker wouldn't have released it without being sure it won't fall apart under you :?

IMO, a good quill stem looks far better than most threadless but that's a taste thing.

If you aren't fond ot the look of what you've got there's lots of possibilities for change if you ebay "quill stem"

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm
by adrian_d
Mulger bill wrote:Big question.

I suppose the maker wouldn't have released it without being sure it won't fall apart under you :?

IMO, a good quill stem looks far better than most threadless but that's a taste thing.

If you aren't fond ot the look of what you've got there's lots of possibilities for change if you ebay "quill stem"


Much appreciated mate, and its not the first time you've helped me out so thoroughly.

Thank you heaps mate :)

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:57 pm
by Mulger bill
What we're here for Adrian. I got well treated as a n00b, would be churlish not to pass it on :)

Shaun

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:01 pm
by adrian_d
Mulger bill wrote:What we're here for Adrian. I got well treated as a n00b, would be churlish not to pass it on :)

Shaun


Thats awesome thanks mate :)

I am tempted to still try out a head stem adaptor, but I would prefer a wheel to fall off than the steering to go haha.

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:31 pm
by familyguy
I use an adaptor (same as that but silver) and ahead stem on my commuter with no issues. Maybe more weight than a good quill, but its not about weight.

Just make sure they're as tight as they should be and you're ok.

Jim

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:43 am
by adrian_d
familyguy wrote:I use an adaptor (same as that but silver) and ahead stem on my commuter with no issues. Maybe more weight than a good quill, but its not about weight.

Just make sure they're as tight as they should be and you're ok.

Jim


Thanks for that. I am guessing its just as good as the quill stem in terms of strength. Its just nice having a thicker head stem on the front, its more of a look thing I think haha. Brings on self confidence i guess hahaha.

It would allow for more adjustment in terms of spacing out the handlebars though, I always dread the thought of going down a fast hill and finding that the steering is getting looser at every bump haha. I'll have to steer from the brake caliper in emergency lol

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:32 am
by familyguy
Bigger tubes do not always equal more strength, but thats something the general public tends to ignore in terms of bicycles and components!

Certainly its much easier to swap stems with the threadless systems and removable face plates.

Jim

Re: Changing Head Stem

Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:51 am
by adrian_d
familyguy - Yeah i think its more of a visual thing having a thicker head stem on the front. It would give me a bit more adjustability on the angle of the head stem and also length. I think for some reason that it will end up failing on me doh