Garmin Cadence Sensor on Merida frame

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Garmin Cadence Sensor on Merida frame

Postby SpinninWheels » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:37 am

Hi all,

I was helping a friend fit a Garmin cadence sensor to his bike, a Merida Scultura Evo, on the weekend.

I am having issues getting the position right. The chain stays are 'sculptured' for want of a better word, and the underside of the Cranks are hollow.

The narrow space between the stays and the rim meant that the 'arm' of the cadence sensor could not sit in a downward position and had to be raised upward to get in proximity of the wheel magnet without hitting it.

Then, as the stays move inwards towards the rim, they make it impossible to get the crank magnet anywhere near the sensor, so no cadence readings. There is about a 2cm space.

Has anyone tried this combo before. Any ideas you'd like to share. A pic or two would be even better.

I have ordered the aftermarket magnet that sits behind the pedal thread, but I still think it will be too far away to read.

All help appreciated!!
SpinninWheels

by BNA » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 am

BNA

Re: Garmin Cadence Sensor on Merida frame

Postby Ozkaban » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:19 am

If your pedal spindles are steel (probably are), Buy a 12mm x 3mm neodymium magnet off ebay for about 3 pesos and pop it on the end of the pedal bolt. Gives a longer range than the standard magnet and looks a lot cleaner too. It won't fall off (don't glue it) .

This will also allow you to move the sensor a bit further back along the chain stay which will hopefully help with the alignment issues thanks to the angle in the spokes.

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Ozkaban

Postby bollo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:40 pm

i have a Merida Scultura Evo 905 & had some probs getting it all to fit but i got there in the end here are a few pics i hope will help you

2013 Cube Lightning HPC SL Race
2012 Merida Scultura Evo 905
bollo

Postby SpinninWheels » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Cheers Bolo, looks like you have tilted the unit outwards towards the pedal. I'll give that a go and see if I can get it reading the cadance.

Another thought I had was hanging it under the chain stay. That would avoid having the adjustable arm sticking up. My concern with it pointing upwards is if it was to become loose or get knocked it could damage the spokes or worse.
SpinninWheels

Return to The Shed