Cross threaded freewheel

AP81

Cross threaded freewheel

Postby AP81 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:16 pm

I was recently given a set of near new Alex R540 wheels from a mate who upgraded his wheelset. After removing the freewheel to replace it with a bigger one, I noticed all the threads are damaged. There is no way another freewheel can go on it.

I've now got two options- use it fixed (no thanks), or replace the entire hub. I can get another identical hub for around $35, but have never built a wheel before. Is this worth doing? Seeing as they were free, I don't mind spending some money on them.
Steel - is - real

bychosis

Re: Cross threaded freewheel

Postby bychosis » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:16 am

Wheel building can be a frustrating and rewarding experience.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=55616
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

darkhorse75

Postby darkhorse75 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:01 pm

Assuming it's a single speed flip flop hub just screw the freewheel onto the fixed side and you're good to go.

drumondo

Postby drumondo » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:55 pm

How bad is it? Can you run a tap through the thread to clean it up to a usable level?

AP81

Postby AP81 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:41 am

darkhorse75 wrote:Assuming it's a single speed flip flop hub just screw the freewheel onto the fixed side and you're good to go.
Thanks, didn't even think of that
drumondo wrote:How bad is it? Can you run a tap through the thread to clean it up to a usable level?
Upon closer inspection, thre threads aren't actually that damaged. After cleaning the grease out, the threaded sections came out with it.

I managed to screw a dicta freewheel on it with no issues (no lateral play). I guess I'll run with this for now, and if it plays up I'll switch it to the fixed side.

Thanks for the help.
Steel - is - real