Disc rotor bolts, threadlock or not?

simonn

Disc rotor bolts, threadlock or not?

Postby simonn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:11 am

Building my first disc wheel and having never replaced a rotor either should I use a low strength thread locker on the bolts?

After taking the rotor I am using off the original crappy formula hub it looks like the bolts had threadlock on.

Nobody

Re: Disc rotor bolts, threadlock or not?

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:31 am

The bolts should come with a kind or dried thread locking compound on them. If reusing the bolts, it is a good idea to put some low strength thread locker on.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:55 pm

Nobody wrote:The bolts should come with a kind or dried thread locking compound on them. If reusing the bolts, it is a good idea to put some low strength thread locker on.
What he said :-) You should torque them as well to ensure they are even and also to avoid over or under tightening them, they will strip easy if you over-do them.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:02 pm

i reckon you can re-use the thread lock - assuming you are re-using the bolts. it won't adhere anymore, but it still dampens the vibration which leads to bolts loosening.

simonn

Postby simonn » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:07 pm

jules21 wrote:i reckon you can re-use the thread lock - assuming you are re-using the bolts. it won't adhere anymore, but it still dampens the vibration which leads to bolts loosening.
I've got some threadlock at home so no worries.

Thanks everyone.