Carbon Assembly Paste - Alternative

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Carbon Assembly Paste - Alternative

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Users of carbon seat posts especially will understand the usefulness of carbon assembly paste in it's various guises to clamp carbon posts into frames without using excess force.

I have often used the term 'gritty grease' to describe it because that is what it feels like on your fingers.

Yesterday I picked up my stoker for a race on the tandem and his carbon seatpost was cleaned off and I didn't bring any CAP with me. I was not able to clamp his post into my frame well enough to stop it moving when I twisted the saddle, so it was likely that with use it would sink down into the frame especially under a 90kg stoker. No-one else around had any CAP either and the best that I could find was some "slick honey" grease. I picked up a little dirt on my fingers from the roadside and mixed it with the grease on the post and it worked like a charm, the post was rock solid for the whole ride.

I'm not suggesting that this is a viable long term alternative, but it did get us out of a jam at the time.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

by BNA » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 pm

BNA

Re: Carbon Assembly Paste - Alternative

Postby jacks1071 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:04 pm

I'm having trouble keeping my post tight on our Tandem as well. My stocker is getting stronger and yanked on the bars a couple of times today and turned my seat.

I'm looking for a better clamp since I already have pleanty of paste in there.

I needed 10Nm on it to get it tight when I got home and at that its only a matter of time before the bolt snaps.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby MarkG » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
MarkG

Postby Nobody » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:38 pm

jacks1071 wrote:I'm having trouble keeping my post tight on our Tandem as well. My stocker is getting stronger and yanked on the bars a couple of times today and turned my seat.

I'm looking for a better clamp since I already have plenty of paste in there.

I needed 10Nm on it to get it tight when I got home and at that its only a matter of time before the bolt snaps.
Are you already using a dual diameter clamp?

Another alternative to carbon assembly compound is non-hardening gasket sealant. Resin based like in the WW thread above. It dries tacky. I've used the Loctite, but I believe Permatex is the same.
http://www.blackwoods.com.au/part/05198 ... ation-50ml
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... escription
Nobody

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:50 am

Yeah I am using a dual diameter clamp and it never budges... Great things.
Now I have to find a way to stop my tt bars rotating when I hit speed humps at full speed!.
toolonglegs

Postby jacks1071 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am

Nobody wrote:
jacks1071 wrote:I'm having trouble keeping my post tight on our Tandem as well. My stocker is getting stronger and yanked on the bars a couple of times today and turned my seat.

I'm looking for a better clamp since I already have plenty of paste in there.

Are you already using a dual diameter clamp?

Unfortunately not, Our tandem needs a 34.9mm clamp and the post is 30mm and I couldn't find a dial diameter clamp for that config. I could shim the upper I guess.

I've just ordered a dual 34.9mm clamp - basically its 2-3 times the height of a normal clamp and its two bolts. I think that'll do the trick as I have pleanty of area to clamp onto.

That being said a dual diameter would be better - I'm using one on one of my Ti bikes and I havn't had to touch it since installation.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Return to The Shed