Wide drop bars?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Wide drop bars?

Postby thecaptn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:20 pm

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a supplier that sells wider than normal drop bars? I'm thinking of using something different on a commuter/shopping bike.

Pete
User avatar
thecaptn
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm

by BNA » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 pm

BNA
 

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby open roader » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:02 pm

How wide is wider than normal?

Zipp manufacture most of their drop bars in a 46cm width........
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
User avatar
open roader
 
Posts: 2379
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Dueling Banjo Country

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 pm

I've got some (I think) Ritchey drops that are 46cm if you want them. I've used them for two races and felt like I was being crucified. 44 and 42s feel right for me, but anything less than that is too tight. PM me if you want to buy them.
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 3105
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 pm

thecaptn wrote:Hi All,

Does anyone know of a supplier that sells wider than normal drop bars? I'm thinking of using something different on a commuter/shopping bike.

Pete


I have 46cm Easton's on our Tandem. I'd have to go out to the shed to check the model but would be either EA50 or EA70 from memory.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
User avatar
jacks1071
 
Posts: 2938
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Location: Mackay, QLD

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:33 am

Pete, for something wider and different, check out Ragley's Luxy bars on CRC or On-One's Midge bars. I have just bought a Luxy for my current project.
Andrew
gabrielle260
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby thecaptn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:14 am

gabrielle260 wrote:Pete, for something wider and different, check out Ragley's Luxy bars on CRC or On-One's Midge bars. I have just bought a Luxy for my current project.
Andrew


These look really interesting, a little bit like the Salsa bars thet put on their tourers.
I think I can imagine what they'd be like to use and would potentially suit the slightly relaxed frame style I'm after.
I look forward to hearing about how you go with them and maybe see some picks' if we're lucky.
Thanks,
Pete

What else can you tell us about your project?
User avatar
thecaptn
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby baabaa » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:48 pm

This may help....
http://g-tedproductions.blogspot.com.au ... rt-ii.html
I have midge bars and 46 cm woodchippers. I liked the midge bars but then bought the wc and liked them more as the drops are longer.
These things are great for commuting and if you have hills are the wonderbar for climbing in the drops. You may need a stem which will raise your bars to the height of your saddle.
User avatar
baabaa
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:47 am

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby gabrielle260 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:52 pm

Pete, I am converting my rigid Lynskey 29er to drop bars. I have mentioned it on the 10k thread.
The intention is to create a gravel grinder/ go anywhere bike that, with a tyre change can go from commuter to CX bike to MTB.
The Lynskey started as a single speed, rigid 29er. I was looking at the Singular Gryphon but then I put 3x9 on the Lynskey and after a recent bike fit with Steve Hogg, confirmed I could (with a shorty stem and poss impact on steering) convert it to drop bars.
All parts are ordered and the first of 3 deliveries arrived last night.
gabrielle260
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:17 pm

The widest I know of are the 48cm Velo Orange Rando bars. They are splayed out a bit like the Nitto Randonneur bars. I've got the 46cm version of the VO Rando bars to put on one of my bikes in the next few days, replacing 46cm Ritchey Bio Max anatomic bend bars. The bend is more gradual so I can fit the parts of my Gilles Berthoud shifter onto the bar, but I will agree that they are totally different sorts of bars. The VO Rando bars are equivalent to a 42cm bar or narrower on the top corners or the hoods.

Why are you going for the wide bars? Have you measured your shoulder width? There is advice out there that you need to have the same width bars as the width between the corner bony bumps on your shoulders. I'm 48cm across the shoulders, but have bikes with 41cm to 44cm bars that are fine. I notice narrower though.
2014 goal 52000m
Image
wqlava1
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:13 am
Location: Nillumbik, Vic

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby thecaptn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:28 pm

gabrielle260 wrote:Pete, I am converting my rigid Lynskey 29er to drop bars. I have mentioned it on the 10k thread.
The intention is to create a gravel grinder/ go anywhere bike that, with a tyre change can go from commuter to CX bike to MTB.
The Lynskey started as a single speed, rigid 29er. I was looking at the Singular Gryphon but then I put 3x9 on the Lynskey and after a recent bike fit with Steve Hogg, confirmed I could (with a shorty stem and poss impact on steering) convert it to drop bars.
All parts are ordered and the first of 3 deliveries arrived last night.



Sound's very cool, why are you going for the wider bars?
User avatar
thecaptn
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby thecaptn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:54 pm

wqlava1 wrote:The widest I know of are the 48cm Velo Orange Rando bars. They are splayed out a bit like the Nitto Randonneur bars. I've got the 46cm version of the VO Rando bars to put on one of my bikes in the next few days, replacing 46cm Ritchey Bio Max anatomic bend bars. The bend is more gradual so I can fit the parts of my Gilles Berthoud shifter onto the bar, but I will agree that they are totally different sorts of bars. The VO Rando bars are equivalent to a 42cm bar or narrower on the top corners or the hoods.

Why are you going for the wide bars? Have you measured your shoulder width? There is advice out there that you need to have the same width bars as the width between the corner bony bumps on your shoulders. I'm 48cm across the shoulders, but have bikes with 41cm to 44cm bars that are fine. I notice narrower though.



I'm not sure how wide my shoulders are, I'll check it out.

The reason for the wider bars is for easier control on rough roads and just to try somthing different. I want to set up a bike that's lighter and faster than the MTB and tourer I have while retaining a fairly comfy riding position. I'm thinking an alloy cyclocross bike with relaxed geo and the wider bars might give me more positions to move my hands on long rides. There's lots of hills where I live but I'm not a racehorse, more like a big donkey and I find drop bars strange and uncomfortable.
User avatar
thecaptn
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby gabrielle260 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:12 am

I'm going for the wider Luxy bars as they will give me more control, especially with a 55mm stem. Roadie purists scoff at the thought of a stem that short but I'm going to try it with a high expectation of success.
(I should point out I am a reformed roadie purist.... And therefore as bad as a reformed smoker!!!)
Andrew
gabrielle260
 
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Wide drop bars?

Postby thecaptn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:03 am

gabrielle260 wrote:I'm going for the wider Luxy bars as they will give me more control, especially with a 55mm stem. Roadie purists scoff at the thought of a stem that short but I'm going to try it with a high expectation of success.
(I should point out I am a reformed roadie purist.... And therefore as bad as a reformed smoker!!!)
Andrew

I've just fitted a 50mm stem to a standard road bike that I'm doing up for a mate. The origional stem was 135 but the bike was way to big for him. I hope it's still ridable. I'll look forward to hearing about how yours works out.
Pete
User avatar
thecaptn
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:28 pm


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit