FD alignment

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

FD alignment

Postby Blybo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:25 pm

Day off work sick but I'm bored so...

I've read the Park tools and Sheldon Brown instructions and I have fitted and been adjusting my new Ultegra 10 spd FD (105 brifters) for an hour or so and have got to this situation;

It will shift up from small to big and then trim a fraction more which seems great however the derailluer and shifter refuse to release letting me shift down and it feels like I'll snap the lever if I push any harder :evil: .

Ok so I thought I should just loosen off the cable slightly which then makes it down shift very well but I have to use the trim setting to get it to go to the big chainring :evil: :evil: :evil: .

Is there a micro adjustment to the cable tension in the shifter somewhere? Or is there something else I'm not getting? Pretty sure I'm happy with the limiter screw settings.
The older I get, the better I was...
Blybo

by BNA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:48 pm

BNA

Re: FD alignment

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:48 pm

Blybo wrote:Is there a micro adjustment to the cable tension in the shifter somewhere? Or is there something else I'm not getting? Pretty sure I'm happy with the limiter screw settings.

Most bikes have their tension adjuster located on the sides of the down tube. But some may not. Some may have an in-line adjuster, or none at all. In which case you might care to install one yourself.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:49 pm

A lot of bikes don't have any cable adjustment anymore.You just set up the limits and height of the FD.Then pull the cable to the right tension by hand and lock it off.
When your FD is in the little ring do you have play in the cable?.
toolonglegs

Postby MountGower » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Shimano use a lubricant which after time sets a little. This doesn't usually cause trouble on the right but often does on the left. It stops the ratchet from returning which would explain why you can't release the derailleur. Don't keep forcing it. I think if you pull the brake lever and spray some silicon spray, teflon spray etc in there and turn the bike upside down for an hour or so the problem should be solved. I would guess the bike has been ridden regularly then not ridden for a while. This has happened to me with RSX shifters.

Then again I may be wrong.
MountGower

Postby Blybo » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:29 pm

thanks guy's. I have what looks like a tensioner but it really doesn't do jack :? . Anyway I've got it ridable by trial and error with cable tension. I pulled it finger tight when in the small ring on the front and biggest cog at the back. I'll also have to fine tune alignment of the derailluer its self as I'm getting some rubbing in 3 smallest cogs/small chainring combos.
The older I get, the better I was...
Blybo

Re: FD alignment

Postby mikeg » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:01 pm

Blybo wrote:It will shift up from small to big and then trim a fraction more which seems great however the derailluer and shifter refuse to release letting me shift down and it feels like I'll snap the lever if I push any harder :evil: .

It sounds like your adjustment put the Trim position right on the upper limit screw adjustment, which locked the cable and FD tight against the limit screw.

Backing off the High Limit screw a quarter turn might have been enough to allow the release for to downshift.
Mike G.

Bike North member
CAMWEST member
mikeg

Return to The Shed