Tech Tip of the day.

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Tech Tip of the day.

Postby 531db » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:30 pm

When replacing brake cables (inners and/or outers) do the rear brake first. If you manage to stuff up by cutting the cable too short, you can usually use the cable/outer on the front. Do the front first, stuff it up and you're up for a new cable and/or outer.
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

by BNA » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:46 pm

BNA
 

Postby cludence » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:46 pm

That'll teach you for doing it back to front. :)
cludence
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:49 am
Location: Sydney

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:10 pm

What are you doing with brakes on your fixed? :D
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14064
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Postby sogood » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:34 pm

Don't stuff up!
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby thomas_cho » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:44 pm

Measure twice/thrice, cut once!
thomas_cho
 
Posts: 1186
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:45 pm
Location: Canberra ACT

Postby ewan » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:43 am

measure twice, cut once, cuss repeatedly :)
ewan
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:49 pm

Postby MountGower » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:55 am

Perhaps he didn't do this. Perhaps it's just your garden variety community announcement?
MountGower
 

Postby rustychisel » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:08 am

MountGower wrote:Perhaps he didn't do this. Perhaps it's just your garden variety community announcement?


Ha ha nice try. We know better :wink:
rustychisel
 
Posts: 3335
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Postby cludence » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:28 am

531db did tell me yesterday that he hadnt done this himself, but still, you never know, he may have just been trying to put me off finding what really happened..... :wink:
cludence
 
Posts: 1177
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2006 2:49 am
Location: Sydney

Postby tuco » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:57 am

cludence wrote:531db did tell me yesterday that he hadnt done this himself, but still, you never know, he may have just been trying to put me off finding what really happened..... :wink:

He should have started the post with - "A friend told me . . ."
I think we can do better. I KNOW we can do better.
User avatar
tuco
 
Posts: 2016
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 pm

Postby bc » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:51 am

Just like those warnings in the manual - you know someone did it sometime, and probably tried to sue. Best one I heard was "stop engine before replacing fan belt" :lol:
bc
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: Melbourne

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:44 pm

bc wrote:Just like those warnings in the manual - you know someone did it sometime, and probably tried to sue. Best one I heard was "stop engine before replacing fan belt" :lol:


The driver's window on Sydney buses has "Do not enter bus through window" warning labels on them. Maybe if they included the picture of the person who inspired the warning label on each one there would be fewer of them.

David
User avatar
bigfriendlyvegan
 
Posts: 2895
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Denistone, NSW

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:17 pm

531db was replacing the brake levers and cables, handlebars and stem on the # 1 Hillman road bike with newer (ie 1990's) bits including a set of Dura Ace cables recently re-discovered in the bike room.

531db was about to measure up, then cut front, when own advice from past came to mind. 531db got the job done perfectly, but recalls - ahem - a stuff up, in the distant past, fortunately with cheaper quality cables.

Hence the post, it's one of those things you only remember after or if your are lucky, just before you stuff up.
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:21 pm

toolonglegs wrote:What are you doing with brakes on your fixed? :D


Absolutely state of the art gearing this one: 53/42 chainrings and 13-23 eight speed cassette with indexed down tube shifters. Why would you need more? I usually use less - a lot less :D
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:55 pm

531db wrote:Absolutely state of the art gearing this one: 53/42 chainrings and 13-23 eight speed cassette with indexed down tube shifters. Why would you need more? I usually use less - a lot less :D

Are you setting up a secret weapon for the criterium circuit? :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
User avatar
sogood
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU

Postby 531db » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:40 pm

sogood wrote:
531db wrote:Absolutely state of the art gearing this one: 53/42 chainrings and 13-23 eight speed cassette with indexed down tube shifters. Why would you need more? I usually use less - a lot less :D

Are you setting up a secret weapon for the criterium circuit? :wink:


My gawd - DHBC has spies everywhere!!!

The Hillman is my road bike, I don't use the small chainring, let alone the 23 tooth cog in crits or even in roadraces at ECR, WSID etc

But yeah, "The Heffronator" is currently in build, a 1982 lugged Tange Champion # 1 tubing frame (similar weight/performance to Reynolds 531db tubing), with a 6 speed 13-18 straight block for crits and 6 speed 13-21 for when required with down tube friction shifting. Still running 25/28C tyres though!
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby toff » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:41 pm

531db wrote:My gawd - DHBC has spies everywhere!!!


...Yep...

Tange#1 is heavier than 531, and has a lower tensile strength than 531, so I would rate 531 in all its variants (C, ST, PRO) as superior to Tange#1. Not that you'll be generating the 108,000 PSI required to break the stuff...

I might have to wheel out my steelie for some Heffron action too (weather permitting).
User avatar
toff
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Between my seatpost and my stem.

Postby 531db » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:08 am

toff wrote:
531db wrote:My gawd - DHBC has spies everywhere!!!


...Yep...

Tange#1 is heavier than 531, and has a lower tensile strength than 531, so I would rate 531 in all its variants (C, ST, PRO) as superior to Tange#1. Not that you'll be generating the 108,000 PSI required to break the stuff...

I might have to wheel out my steelie for some Heffron action too (weather permitting).


As built up frames, there is really little effective weight and performance difference between Reynolds 531C and Tange Champion No. 1

Obviously 531 is a manganese molybdeum steel and No.1 a chrome molybdeum steel and there is a slight difference in the UTS.

In terms of tubeset wall thickness 531 uses a double butted top tube of 0.8mm/0.5mm/0.8mm, the same as No. 1.

531's down tube is 0.9/0.6/0.9mm, heavier than No. 1's 0.8/0.5/0.8mm.

531's seat tube is 0.8/0.5mm single butted as oppose to No. 1's 0.9/0.6/0.9mm double butted.

Small variations exist in head tube, stays and fork blades but in reality both tube sets weigh with about 50g of each other.

I've seen quoted weights of 2050g for a 531C tubeset and 2220g for Tange Champion No.1, but these are manufacturer supplied weights and there is an element of apples and oranges in this as the length of supplied tubes varies. Incidently Columbus SL with all main tubes being 0.9/0.6/0.9mm (seat tube 0.9/06mm) and thicker stays than 531C gets quoted as 1925g for a tubeset, clearly heavier in reality to 531C, but manufacturers figures are 'banana's' here.

Reynolds 531C is 'the tubing' as far as I'm concerned, but in reality, Tange Champion No. 1 is just as good in providing a quality lugged steel frame.
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby toff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:21 am

531db wrote:Incidently Columbus SL with all main tubes being 0.9/0.6/0.9mm (seat tube 0.9/06mm) and thicker stays than 531C gets quoted as 1925g for a tubeset, clearly heavier in reality to 531C, but manufacturers figures are 'banana's' here.

It sounds like you are describing SLX. SL is definitely lighter than 531.
User avatar
toff
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Between my seatpost and my stem.

Postby 531db » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:07 pm

toff wrote:
531db wrote:Incidently Columbus SL with all main tubes being 0.9/0.6/0.9mm (seat tube 0.9/06mm) and thicker stays than 531C gets quoted as 1925g for a tubeset, clearly heavier in reality to 531C, but manufacturers figures are 'banana's' here.

It sounds like you are describing SLX. SL is definitely lighter than 531.


No, Columbus SL is definitely a heavier tubeset than 531C, thicker wall thickness for all main tubes and stays. A metalurgical and physical fact, greater mass = greater weight. (The difference between manganese moly and chrome moly steel in terms of weight/mass is non-existent).
Only Columbus tubesets of the same era (80's), lighter than SL were Columbus Record and KL.

See www.desperadocycles.com/Tubing_Properti ... Tubing.htm

Note the the reference to Columbus SL in the second line of the chart is an error - Columbus KL is what is being refered to. Columbus SL is correctly described in the fourth line of the chart in terms of dimensions, if not weight.
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!

Postby toff » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:16 pm

Ahh... I remember reading a link to that page a while ago, in relation to SL v SLX. I always thought SLX was heavier but stiffer due to the "rifling". So all these years I've been misled. Lots of forum posts refer to that table, so I'm probably not the only one...
User avatar
toff
 
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm
Location: Between my seatpost and my stem.

Postby 531db » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:27 pm

Columbus claims a SLX tubeset is 34 grams heavier than a SL, you'd never notice that difference.
531db
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:25 pm
Location: Riding a real steel bike - somewhere!


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist