Towbar mounted 4-bike rack swivelling

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Towbar mounted 4-bike rack swivelling

Postby symowallo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:38 am

Hi, I have a towbar-mounted bike rack - it's one of those racks that has 2 main supports so that you can still use the towball while the rack is mounted.

Its plate sits on top of the towbar tongue, and the towball goes through it, so that the tongue is on the bottom, the bike rack's plate is next, and then the towball sits on top of that.

The first time I attempted to use it, carrying 2 bikes, I struck a problem. When I turn corners in the vehicle, the bottom plate rotates which therefore becomes a dangerous situation because the bikes rotate with it. I've tried tightening the crap out of the towball but that doesn't stop the problem. I've contacted the vendor who had no suggestions other than maybe a couple of bits of rubber on the top and bottom of the rack's plate. Surely others have experienced the same issue? Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
symowallo

by BNA » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 pm

BNA

Re: Towbar mounted 4-bike rack swivelling

Postby open roader » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Have a small steel plate flush with the rack mount welded onto the top of the tow bar tongue - seen this done several times to remedy involuntary rotation on tow ball mounted devices.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking
open roader

Postby symowallo » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Open Roader.

Should this plate be L or U shaped so that it prevents the base from moving? Ie. So it sort of "cups" the base?
symowallo

Postby mithba » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:45 am

Surely you could simply weld two bits of metal on the tongue on either side so that when the rack mount tries to swivel it just hits the metal? you could even just weld on 2 nuts.

Please excuse my bad MS Paint skills.

the red circles represent welded on "nuts" or whatever type of obstruction you choose.
mithba

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 am

Or you could put them on the rack if you don't want to damage the integrity of the tow bar.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:55 pm

I had the same problem. The towball was rotating in the tongue due to dodgy spring washer. I had a new ball and washer fitted and have not had an issue since.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby symowallo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:10 pm

Good ideas everyone... I like the idea of welding on a couple of tabs. I don't have a welder but it'll be an easy job for the local workshop...
symowallo

Postby Dan's Avanti » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 pm

Yep, same problem, I had a single small tab welded onto the rack. Easy and effective.
Dan's Avanti

Return to The Shed