Weights/comparison for Groupsets

User avatar
sogood
Posts: 17153
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU
Contact:

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 am

MichaelB wrote:The latest BA magazine also has a good comparo between Dura Ace, SRAM Red and Record.

Do many people in the know buy groupsets based primarily on weight? I would have thought most would primarily buy based on what they prefer in terms of feel.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 7346
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby MichaelB » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:37 pm

sogood wrote:
MichaelB wrote:The latest BA magazine also has a good comparo between Dura Ace, SRAM Red and Record.

Do many people in the know buy groupsets based primarily on weight? I would have thought most would primarily buy based on what they prefer in terms of feel.


And ?

The above post that I made was purely to highlight the info that is now available.

lom3bok
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Groupsets

Postby lom3bok » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:01 pm

The latest Bicycling Australia mag gives a weight comparison between Record, Durace and Sram Red groupsets, by component.

User avatar
sogood
Posts: 17153
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU
Contact:

Postby sogood » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:43 pm

MichaelB wrote:And ?

The above post that I made was purely to highlight the info that is now available.

No "and". Just a question that popped in my head whilst reading your post. :P
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

lom3bok
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 pm

Groupsets

Postby lom3bok » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:
sogood wrote:
MichaelB wrote:The latest BA magazine also has a good comparo between Dura Ace, SRAM Red and Record.

Do many people in the know buy groupsets based primarily on weight? I would have thought most would primarily buy based on what they prefer in terms of feel.


And ?

The above post that I made was purely to highlight the info that is now available.


I guess if you are really aiming at lowest bike weight, there are some big weight savings available depending on the groupset you choose. Certainly my own view has always been, my bike is around 7-7.5kg, and I would get more benefit from losing a few kgs myself than making the bike lighter. Apparently there was a bike at one of the recent bike shows with a functioning weight of about 3.5kg!! But the cost to get down that low is ridiculous! However, there are fanatics out there.

User avatar
MichaelB
Posts: 7346
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Postby MichaelB » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:35 am

As stated in the initial post, it was more of a query regarding "reasonable weight"

MichaelB wrote:
The query is that given with a set of Mavic Aksium wheels (not light), and a Campy 9sp Veloce groupset, if I upgraded to a good level groupset and good wheels, how much would the weight reduce by from the current 10.3kg ?

"Who cares", I hear some say, weight is not everything.

It isn't, but I don't want to build a heavy dream bike if I don't have to.

I don't want to save 50 grams at a cost of $500, but if for judicous part selection I can get a kg or so off, then well & good.

That way I can cherry pic the best bits for longevity and function.

Cheers

Michael B


As I read in a bike magazine last night, a 7.7kg Titanium bike (Enigman Eulogy) was considered "not light" at 7.7kg and this was a negative of the bike.

Say What !!

User avatar
sogood
Posts: 17153
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 am
Location: Sydney AU
Contact:

Postby sogood » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:42 am

I guess technology have evolved, yesterday's standard can no longer be applied today. Similar that a light steel bike of yesteryear is no longer the reference for today.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: coffeeandwine