Campy brake adjuster o-rings?

Jean

Campy brake adjuster o-rings?

Postby Jean » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:17 pm

Hi,

The rubber o-rings which make up part of the brake barrel adjusters on my mid-90s Campagnolo brakes are perished and I'd like to replace them. Now according to the LBS I can only buy the whole adjuster (at some ridiculous price) from the local importer.

But, hey it's just a rubber o-ring, right? I found an old thread on the old BikeForums DB which sets out some candidate sizes (in US speak - ie. fractions of an inch), but does anyone know to hunt up o-rings in Australia? The Canberra yellow pages is not much help I have to say and the internet sites I've found seem to have info for engineers, but not the likes of me.

Cheers
Jean

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:52 pm

go into Bunnings and look thru thru the plumbing section. Should be some o rings that will fit

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:33 pm

.... or find a new LBS.

Make a few phone calls to other LBSs for opinions, and perhaps contact the Aussie distributor of Campy. As a supplier of quality equipment, you'd expect them to support their gear with spare parts. Especially when they know rubber perishes with age.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Mini Man

Campy O rings.

Postby Mini Man » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:21 pm

Check out bearing suppliers they carry o rings ,usually black but Viton ones are a red oxide colour ,
cheers , John.

Postman Pat

Re: Campy O rings.

Postby Postman Pat » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:56 pm

Mini Man wrote:Check out bearing suppliers they carry o rings ,usually black but Viton ones are a red oxide colour ,
cheers , John.
You could also try your local Hydrolics Repairer they usually have a Range of small one for control blocks take a sample
Regards Ron

Jean

Postby Jean » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:04 pm

Thanks for those tips.

To be fair to the LBS - they told me that I'd have to buy the whole adjuster after placing a phone call to the importer (or at least so they said). They did also say 'bring the adjusters in and we'll see what we can find in the shop', but I don't fancy disassembling my brakes just to dig through the detritus of an LBS workshop.

Jean

Postby Jean » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Found some acceptable ones in the plumbing section at Bunnings today - part of a small kit to refurbish some part of your dunny. They're not a perfect replacement so I'll keep an eye out for a closer match.

Thanks for the tips