Pimp my ride? No, I pimped my Reid!!

Johndec

Pimp my ride? No, I pimped my Reid!!

Postby Johndec » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Some months ago I bought a Reid Condor for ~ $249.00, basically as a pub/shops bike. I would be annoyed if anyone knicked it, but not nearly as much as losing my Colnago :shock: Recently I upgraded my Nago from Ultegra 6700 to a Campy Chorus/Athena mix (love it by the way, but that's another story). Now, the Condor has basically a reasonable quality aluminium frame and fork with a whole lot of rubbish hanging off it. Rubbish Shimano pov pack gearing, a seat a masochist wouldn't sit on, no name warped wheels, brakes that won't work even going uphill, etc,etc.

So..... I've got this box of Ultegra bits that have done 5000+ kms, not really worth selling. I've got an old set of Fulcrum 7's doing nothing, The tiny wheels in my head start spinning. A quick browse on the UK sites to grab some tiagra flat bar shifters, a $20 seat, a couple of 28mm Rubinos to replace those horrible Kendas it came with and a new KMC chain and before I know it, I've got what is probably Australia's best specced Condor :roll:

How does she ride? Pretty damm good although I probably should thank Mr Shimano and Mr Ribble more than Mr Reid for that! :P

rkelsen

Re: Pimp my ride? No, I pimped my Reid!!

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:35 pm

Good job! I know exactly what you mean about wheels in your head turning... :lol:

Fulcrum 7s make a decent commuting wheel, especially with bigger tyres like you have. 8)

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:36 pm

hmmm, I'd pinch that from the pub! Though the Reid logo will be some insurance!!!

But seriously... very cool, and why the heck not. As you said the frame is usually ok and the bits are suddenly heaps better. I have a Giant Commuter that I want to convert to a flat bar that has full 105, and I'm thinking of those same shifters. Do they work well or are they a bit clunky?

Johndec

Postby Johndec » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:48 pm

Ozkaban wrote: Do they work well or are they a bit clunky?
I was amazed at how well they work once fine tuned. If Shimano made flat bar shifters for Dura Ace, I wouldn't waste my money, the Tiagra's work brilliantly.

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 pm

Johndec wrote:
Ozkaban wrote: Do they work well or are they a bit clunky?
I was amazed at how well they work once fine tuned. If Shimano made flat bar shifters for Dura Ace, I wouldn't waste my money, the Tiagra's work brilliantly.
Thanks for that. Current Tiagra is pretty neat for the money so I'm not surprised but am delighted to hear a good word about them.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:08 pm

:shock: Well that scrubbed up nicely.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:39 pm

I just put one of these together for a mate and was considering buying one for a cheap commuter but had second thoughts once i rode it. I agree with the op about the brakes and wheels being less than stellar, the rims were so wobbly that i couldn't get the brake cable very tight because the brakes kept rubbing and the saddle is very uncomfortable.

When/if i upgrade the tiagra on the peleton i may reconsider buying one of these to transfer parts on to but i paid $850 for the peleton and it's at least four times better than the standard condor.