Bicycle specific grease?

jeff_o

Bicycle specific grease?

Postby jeff_o » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi, is there a bicycle specific grease? I noticed everytime I strip a bike that the OEM grease being used are clear green colored and are thick and heavy compared to what I'm using. I'm just using a castrol automotive grease (opaque green) that is heat resistant and water resistant. I'd like to know where can i get a bicycle grease similar to those used in OEM bikes that are thicker than automotive greases.

and is it really necessary? only drawback i noticed when using automotive grease is that on the headset and fork it flows out a bit because it's thinner. not sure about thicker grease maybe it will flow out less as it's stickier and thicker?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Bicycle specific grease?

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Chances are if you look on the shelf in the workshop at your LBS you'll see a tub of Castrol Marine. Good enough for me :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:16 pm

+1. LBS round here told me to go and get marine grease, recommended Castrol after I asked them to sell me some good bike grease.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TomBikes

Postby TomBikes » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:21 pm

So with bikes a thicker grease is better than a thinner lube? Just little confused because in dh longboarding the lube we use is very thing, then again, it has to be thin, unlike in bikes where bearings are under much more force so the extra hold of thick grease doesn't matter, yes?

jeff_o

Postby jeff_o » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:30 pm

ok found this one.

http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=36687" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i think for headsets, thick marine grease is ok.

for hubs with ball bearings... you may want to use a thinner grease but the difference between using a thick and thin grease (extra friction) may be negligible?

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:19 am

jeff_o

Postby jeff_o » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:28 am

hmmm expensive.... i think i'll stick with castrol marine grease... much cheaper.

in engine oils there are weight ratings like 15w-20, 20w-30 etc.

how about in grease? i've never seen manufacturer put weight/viscosity ratings on grease.

m@

Postby m@ » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:27 am

Mulger bill wrote:Castrol Marine
+1 it's got what plants crave.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:01 am

TomBikes wrote:Just little confused because in dh longboarding the lube we use is very thin
The wheels on your longboard are spinning way faster than bike wheels and way way way faster than a bottom bracket. Headset bearings barely move at all by comparison.

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am

I use "Finish Line" from the US, after all the work of a restoration or overhaul I want the best available.
Car wheel bearing grease is very heavy in viscosity compared to specific cycle greases.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am

I use marine trailer bearing grease for my hubs etc. and it doesn't feel too bad. I did use a bicycle specific grease once and didn't feel any different to me so went back to the other stuff.

**Please note that I would probably use different grease depending on your application, in my situation I'm maintaining a commuter and a 2009 Giant Anthem, so not high end road or mountain bikes. If you have a high end bike, then probably best to use a grease made for your specific application.

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:55 am

Another satisfied Castol marine grease user here.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:34 pm

+74 to castrol marine.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:58 pm

jeff_o wrote:hmmm expensive.... i think i'll stick with castrol marine grease... much cheaper.

how about in grease? i've never seen manufacturer put weight/viscosity ratings on grease.
Those tubs of grease are expensive but you use little on a bike and a tub lasts a long time. Chain lube is expensive but many still buy it. Lots of cycling items are over priced IMHO.

NLGI consistency number

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease Some on the internet seem to think this is the same as Phil Wood grease.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:19 pm

FuzzyDropbear wrote: **Please note that I would probably use different grease depending on your application, in my situation I'm maintaining a commuter and a 2009 Giant Anthem, so not high end road or mountain bikes. If you have a high end bike, then probably best to use a grease made for your specific application.
High end gear often uses sealed bearings that don't require greasing, stick with marine grease to lube the threads or anything that is left without a sealed bearing.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Shpox

Postby Shpox » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:10 pm

What you want is Motorex Bike Grease 2000. The good LBS's I went to all stocked it next to triflow and R&R. Don't bother with red devil grease either.

A lot of people will recommend marine grease, white lithium and other sorts of automobile grease. Technically, these are all going to be fine but I wouldn't use any on bearings as all these grease are quite thick (minus white lithium which tends to dry to powder).

Phil Wood isn't available here and isn't worth your moola as it's just far too expensive.

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:09 pm

jeff_o wrote:hmmm expensive.... i think i'll stick with castrol marine grease... much cheaper.

Grease is a mixture of oil and soap, commonly lithium soap, which is simply a carrier for the oil. Its viscosity rating is the same as the base oil, and has nothing to do with the thickness of the soap.
I use a molybdenum disulphide lithium based automotive grease for everthing.

Note that you should not use grease for the assembly of carbon fibre components - seat posts and handlebars for example. Use only carbon fibre assembly compound.
Last edited by RonK on Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

TomBikes

Postby TomBikes » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:31 pm

RonK wrote: Note that you should not use grease for the assembly of carbon fibre components - seat posts and handlebars for example. Use only carbon fibre assembly compound.
The answer is probably simple, but why is this? Why not use grease on cf?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:30 am

Back in my day the bees knees was Moly di-sulfide which was water insoluble. I suppose a bit like marine grease. It seemed expensive at the time but I suspect way less than bike-specific premium priced stuff that seems to fill the shelves of the LBS these days.

Oh, for the good old days. :wink:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:43 am

TomBikes wrote:
RonK wrote: Note that you should not use grease for the assembly of carbon fibre components - seat posts and handlebars for example. Use only carbon fibre assembly compound.
The answer is probably simple, but why is this? Why not use grease on cf?
Quite simply, because they will slip. CF assembly compound has non-slip properties.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:54 am

bychosis wrote:High end gear often uses sealed bearings that don't require greasing, stick with marine grease to lube the threads or anything that is left without a sealed bearing.
Hmm.....

Rohloff - sealed bearings
Schmidt dynohub - sealed bearings
Shimano cartridge BB - sealed bearings (well sort of...)
FSA headset - sealed bearing

Not too much call for grease on my bike these days, aside from dabbing the BB and pedal threads, and the seatpost :o
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:14 am

I use Rock"N"Roll Red Devil for everything except bottom bracket threads where I use a copper based anti-seize and carbon fibre parts that require assembly compound.

One tub would last the average home mechanic about 10 years.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

nuttzo32

Postby nuttzo32 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Here's what i use

It's got electrolytes and s##t

cooperplace

Postby cooperplace » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:13 am

RonK wrote:

I use a molybdenum disulphide lithium based automotive grease for everthing.

yes, me too.
Please be nice to me, I'm not very bright.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 pm

" molybdenum disulphide" type grease is not what I would choose for use on a bicycle ie wheel bearings. YMMV

molybdenum disulphide is for metal to metal contact points ie splines and pins etc

Molygrease EP2 for example