Pedal and cleat care

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Pedal and cleat care

Postby dant » Sun May 11, 2008 4:00 pm

I narrowed down a nasty creak to my cleat/pedal. Is there an easy way to determine if the cleat is either worn out or the pedal needs to be looked after a little better? How do most people dial in their pedals with float etc?

I ride a fixie and on the route there are two decent hills. I really give a good yank up on the cleats/pedals to use the fixie's natural momentum to help get up the hills. I have managed to yank my foot out of the pedals a couple of times (and I am almost certain my foot is not twisting out at the ankle to accidentally disengage). Don't know if this is a cause or symptom. It's actually quite unnerving to do it on a fixie and continue pedalling with one foot uphill.

thanks in advance,
adam
dant

by BNA » Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 pm

BNA

Postby Hawkeye » Sun May 11, 2008 9:48 pm

My shoes creak something horrible in my SPDs. A little chain lube cures all. 8) I've since read this is something I should be doing anyhoo.
Hawkeye

Re: Pedal and cleat care

Postby Bnej » Mon May 12, 2008 9:01 am

dant wrote:I ride a fixie and on the route there are two decent hills. I really give a good yank up on the cleats/pedals to use the fixie's natural momentum to help get up the hills. I have managed to yank my foot out of the pedals a couple of times (and I am almost certain my foot is not twisting out at the ankle to accidentally disengage). Don't know if this is a cause or symptom. It's actually quite unnerving to do it on a fixie and continue pedalling with one foot uphill.

This is something that can happen with SPDs. I had the same problem with SPDs on my road bike twice then switched to SPD-SLs. The road pedals are far more secure if you're going to be pulling up hard.

Winding up the release tension on your SPDs might help a bit.
Bnej

Postby Mulger bill » Mon May 12, 2008 11:58 am

Worn cleats tend to "rock" around in the bindings, maybe this had something to do with the crook release?

:? 'Bout time for some new cleats, hmmm, maybe shoes too........

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby dant » Mon May 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Thanks guys - a little bit of chain lube fixed the problem beautifully. Going to look into spd-sl's - sounds good.

Cheers,
Adam
dant

Postby rustychisel » Tue May 13, 2008 12:41 pm

get Keywins, you won't pull out of them. And don't try to dance the tango in your cycling shoes, the cleats will last longer.
rustychisel

Return to The Shed