Page 1 of 1

Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:19 pm
by auswi2
Hello,

I live in Brisbane and would like to find a shop that does Ultegra DI2 software upgrades as the lbs I brought the bike from does not have the equipment.

I was thinking about the new update that allows the rider to go up and down the rear cassette but holding the shift button.

Thanks

Auswi2

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:06 pm
by Sven Nijs
Contact:
Shimano Australia
35 Mangrove Lane
Taren Point NSW 2229
1300 731 077.

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:37 pm
by auswi2
Thanks for the info the cost is approx $80.00 for the software upgrade which is really steep

Thanks

auswi2

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:39 pm
by Crawf
That is damn steep considering it would probably take seconds to do.
I was given a price by a mech in Brisbane of about $40.

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:54 pm
by Sven Nijs
auswi2 wrote:Thanks for the info the cost is approx $80.00 for the software upgrade which is really steep

Thanks

auswi2

That is steep. You can buy the programmer from the US for $199 (+shipping) and DIY....

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 pm
by Dr_Mutley
I think u should name the place charging $80 do all can avoid it...

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:54 am
by geoffs
Sven Nijs wrote:
auswi2 wrote:Thanks for the info the cost is approx $80.00 for the software upgrade which is really steep

Thanks

auswi2

That is steep. You can buy the programmer from the US for $199 (+shipping) and DIY....


It costs a bit more than that from the local wholesaler - surprise, surprise. Once you have it though you are unlikely to use it again unless you want to share it with some friends.
The upgrade might take 10 mins all going well, however if one of the bits decides it wants to be difficult about accepting the firmware it may take longer. It took a couple of goes for the battery unit on my bike to work properly.
I reckon $40 is a fair price

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:32 pm
by petal665
How does the Ui2 connect to the PC? I can do 9070 so if it is the same as Ui2 I can do it. The 9070 connects into a port on the junction box, I suspect Ui2 is different.

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:30 pm
by Crawf
petal665 wrote:How does the Ui2 connect to the PC? I can do 9070 so if it is the same as Ui2 I can do it. The 9070 connects into a port on the junction box, I suspect Ui2 is different.


I think into any spare port whether it be shifters, der' or junction.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 771121.pdf

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:40 pm
by petal665
Nah. The cable I can get hold of goes from PC into a special port on the front junction box of 9070. It's not the same as Ui2.

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:35 pm
by Sven Nijs
geoffs wrote:It costs a bit more than that from the local wholesaler - surprise, surprise. Once you have it though you are unlikely to use it again unless you want to share it with some friends.
The upgrade might take 10 mins all going well, however if one of the bits decides it wants to be difficult about accepting the firmware it may take longer. It took a couple of goes for the battery unit on my bike to work properly.I reckon $40 is a fair price

I see your point but that'd be $40 every time you want something changed. So you want full multishift = $40. You ride it a while and decide it's shifting is too slow/fast = $40 more. You change your mind and want only 3 sprocket changes max = another $40. Shimano issue newer firmware = $40 etc etc. Factor in the $80 per visit he was actually quoted....
Sharing with friends is definitely a good idea to recoup the outlay and I know someone who has that intention.

petal665 wrote:Nah. The cable I can get hold of goes from PC into a special port on the front junction box of 9070. It's not the same as Ui2.

but aren't the Etube connectors the same for both 6070 and 9070, therefore you should be able to use the method shown on page 7 (or maybe even 8 ) of the Operating Manual as per Crawf's suggestion? I appreciate that old DA Di2 is entirely different.

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 am
by petal665
Sven Nijs wrote:
petal665 wrote:Nah. The cable I can get hold of goes from PC into a special port on the front junction box of 9070. It's not the same as Ui2.

but aren't the Etube connectors the same for both 6070 and 9070, therefore you should be able to use the method shown on page 7 (or maybe even 8 ) of the Operating Manual as per Crawf's suggestion? I appreciate that old DA Di2 is entirely different.
The 9070 junction box has a special port for charging and PC connection. It's totally different to the e-tube ports.

See the last picture here

Re: Looking for shop that does DI2 software upgrade

Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 pm
by pagey
A good bike shop you have a relationship will do it for free. It takes 5 min