Disc Brake Freestroke Mare...

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Disc Brake Freestroke Mare...

Postby the-waves » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi all

After not riding my MTB I noticed the free stroke on my almost new Hope X2's was playing up. After pulling on the lever I noticed that the pads would bite the disc but not return after releasing the brake lever.

Thinking there was something wrong but desperate to ride the bike without wasting too much time, I put on a new pair of Shimano XT's.
Same problem!

Do any of the more experienced members know what is going on here? Do I deed to bleed off some oil or air? Or is this related to the heat of summer? I would have thought the Shimano’s would be fine right out the box - previous brakes were.

All feedback welcomed.
the-waves

by BNA » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:48 pm

BNA

Re: Disc Brake Freestroke Mare...

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:48 pm

Do they rub on the rotor when you ride? If not, I wouldn't worry. When you say brand new XT, do you mean unridden?

I'm thinking this is just the normal self-adjusting action that hydraulic brakes have. As the pads wear, the pistons move in to compensate. They move back out just far enough to stop brake rub.

I have had problems in the past with one piston retracting less than the other which led to rotor rub, but it was only because of dirt buildup on the piston wall. A good clean with a cotton bud dipped in brake cleaner fixed it up. Squirting the hose down through the brake caliper when cleaning after rides helps keep the problem away, but keep the pressure mild. You don't want water getting past the seals and into your brake fluid!
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Return to The Shed