British and Italian bottom brackets

ozlegacy

British and Italian bottom brackets

Postby ozlegacy » Wed May 14, 2008 11:33 am

I've tried working this out from reading other threads, but just want to make sure I have this right before purchasing a new BB.

I'm replacing a crankset on a FELT F85 which has a FSA crank and ISIS bottom bracket. I have a Ultegra crank but need to purchase the BB and I've found I can get either 68mm or 70mm which from what I've read 68mm=British and 70mm=Italian?

Also if the drive side is a reverse thread does this mean I definately have British 68mm BB? Or is it easier to just measure the actual diamter of the BB?

Last question how come there are no Taiwainese BB's for my Asian bike :lol:

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Wed May 14, 2008 3:55 pm

Ok after reading shedlons bit on BB's it appears I do have 68mm, hopeso as I have one on order now!

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 14, 2008 7:41 pm

Ozlegacy

How funny you should post this after my last 48 hours of torture ! I have just replaced my SRAM crankset and BB with Ultegra. I ordered an Ultegra Brittish BB and Crankset, all should be good, well so you'd think. I almost busted the bottom of the bike getting off the old SRAM gear as I looked that the Ultegra one I'd been shipped ( threads) not knowing the nutters at Chainreaction sent me an Italian one instead of British, I could have killed them !

So today I head to local LBS and hand over $65 for an Dura-Ace BB (OUCH !!) to get me back on the road while I wait for Chain Reaction to send me a replacement. Thanks to Sheldon Brown's site late last night I finally worked out what was wrong. Make sure you get yourself a BB spanner to do/undo the cups...

Cheers..Pete

p.s Brittish theads are L and R. Italian are R/R and are marked 36x24. If thats what you get, send it straight back ;-)

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Wed May 14, 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks Sandman that is usefull info!

My experience hasn't been as bad also not trouble free, first of all I can't get my FSA cranks off as I have a ISIS BB and my crank puller doesn't work on that model, so another tool from torpedo7!

Then I find the Ultregra crank I bought from ebay didn't include a BB! Still for $140 considering it's brand new I guess it's still cheap.

Then I have the debaracle of the 68 vs 70 mm which I'm 88.9% sure is sorted so I've ordered a 68mm BB and cups from a local AU ebayer for $40 delivered which I think is quite cheap LBS wanted that just for the cups!

Then I realise I need the hollowtech special tool a thingy ma jig, so that's another $20 from ebay. But at least I can use that on the XT stuff on the MTB down the track.

Still can't wait to get it all up and running prob not in time for this weekends century ride though. :( In hindsight I prob should have gone for a DA BB you can get them for $50ish on ebay not sure if there is much difference between that and UL though?

Thanks again for the info

sandman

Postby sandman » Wed May 14, 2008 8:42 pm

Ozlegacy

I'm chuckling as this was exactly what I went through over the last few weeks, researching what I needed to make sure I wouldn't just end up with a floor full of parts.

Interesting we talk about BB or set of cups, they are really just two nuts with threads and a moving bearing inside that the crankshaft mates with (with a plastic tube between the two with rubber o-rings to keep the water out) I didn't look close enough on the SRAMS as they had marking as to which way to get them off. I looked at the Shimano ones so there I am with the Park tool and a rubber mallet effectively tightening the BB on the drive side. Boy was I seriously pissed off after coming back into the study only to find the error ! The park tool is real strong and I seriously stuffed the SRAM cup, thankfully I didn't damage the bike frame.

Then to cap it off the new BB was wrong. Yes I got it between the eyes when I walked into the LBS at 9:00am this morning and said I want to get back on the road so just give me what you've got. Out came a Dura-Ace BB and he said thats all I've got. I wont say how much I paid but I could have bought 2 Ultegra BBs from Chainreaction for what I paid for this. Anyway, once home it just went together nicely, a little grease and all the threads mated, screws tightened and a quick test drive. Add together the new wheels, chain and cassette, the bike rides smoother than when I rolled it out the door when I bought it. This is a picture of it back together

Good to see your getting a healthy collection of tools, never know when you 'll need all those bits... Happy hacking on your bike !

Pete

ozlegacy

Postby ozlegacy » Wed May 14, 2008 9:30 pm

Nice looking bike Pete, I can't wait to get the new stuff on now