Shogun Two-Tone Mixte-Six

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Shogun Two-Tone Mixte-Six

Postby kukamunga » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 pm

This is a custom project I did a couple of years ago, which I still have and ride occasionally:

Shogun Custom Sport Mixte, with Sturmey Archer 3 & double crankset

I'll post more specs as they come to me, or as you ask......

God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

by BNA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 am

BNA

Re: Shogun Two-Tone Mixte-Six

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:27 am

Sublime!
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
Try an online forum today!
HappyHumber

Postby kukamunga » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:48 pm

Parts sourced from my hard rubbish collecting: Shogun frame (double butted chromoly); original fork (Tangaloy); bars (alloy 30 deg sweep); brake levers (APSE); rear rim (Mavic Open Pro!); 1973 Sturmey Archer AW hub; 3 spd shifter; 105 derailleurs (1989); 1982 Sugino cranks 48/34T; rear Arai brake; 26.8mm post; rack; sidestand; Profile bidon cage; bell!

No idea what year the frame is - probably late 80's. The frame number prefix reads "M8C". The fork steerer has been lengthened with a BBB BHP-20 Extender to run a 1" threadless headset and 1" Profile stem. Since taking these photos a few days ago, I realise how 'clunky' the stem looks - I have a more 'svelte' 1" stem to replace it with

Front derailleur shifts via an upside-down 1991 XT 7spd thumb shifter. Rear derailleur acts as a chain tensioner, with long limit screws restricting movement. Front brake is a Tektro R365

The white, plastic mudguards were picked up at a swap meet, and have been modified with black Nitto electrical tape! Front wheel is Novatec / Alex. Schwalbe 700 x 28 whitewalls. SDG Bel-Air saddle. MHL Grips and VP pedals from Cycling Deal. Retro Cateye tailight from Cecils

This style of mixte frame tends to have a bit more flex in it than others, and with the geometry, I tend to get 'speed wobbles' if I let go of the bars :shock:

The 3 x 2 gearing was always something I'd wanted to try. The 48/34T basically gives you a slightly higher and lower ratio with your SA 3 speed. It works quite well, and it's what I had lying around. With today's 5/7/8/9/11/14 speed internal hubs, you wouldn't bother

The black and white theme stemmed from the bikes original color scheme, funnily enough :wink:
kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:31 pm

kukamunga wrote:.....and 1" Profile stem. Since taking these photos a few days ago, I realise how 'clunky' the stem looks - I have a more 'svelte' 1" stem to replace it with.....

Done!! :roll: :)
kukamunga

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Much better... at least from that sorta rear 3/4 angle ;)

'sfunny, I don't know why, but the first thing I always look at in a Mixte frame is whether the brake bridge, and thus brakes, are on the central stays. I sort of use as a quality marker.
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
Try an online forum today!
HappyHumber

Return to The Shed