Finding a friend to teach me maintenance and so on.

Mydget

Finding a friend to teach me maintenance and so on.

Postby Mydget » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:02 pm

Hey all,

I've been riding for quite long, but never got into bicycle maintenance and upgrades, as I've never really had the time or tools (back in the days of high school). So I'm looking for a friend, living around the Ryde area (a bit farther out doesn't matter) to guide me through some maintenance on my new bicycle and also a slight tune-up of an older MTB. I'll be more than happy to return the favour by helping you with your own bicycle stuff over the weekend or any other day (currently free every day), though don't make me your slave. :lol: And a pack of beer if you want. :D

PM me with details and times, or just post below. Hopefully meet a few times a week. :D

PS: My other interests for idle chatter :lol: Though of course it doesn't matter if you don't have the same.
- Computers, physics, bicycles (I'm sure we'll have this in common ahah), musical instruments, urbex (urban exploration) and world domination. :lol:
Last edited by Mydget on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewBurns

Re: Finding a friend to teach me maintenance and so on.

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:11 pm

Hey Mydget, I'm in Ashfield but I work in Macquarie Park and will be moving to Cheltenham soon. I'm an engineer and I've always done the building and maintenance on my bikes so if you need any help I'm happy to. Drop me a PM or whatever.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Doesn't Sydney have something like the Bike Shed at CERES in Melbourne ??

A mate of mine is involved with LBUG, now called Bike Leichhardt and they seem pretty active, may do maintenance sessions. Don't know whether this is anywhere near you ???

Mydget

Postby Mydget » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah, I read about that quite a while ago. I'd rather meet someone or a few and learn and help personally, I tend to get confused in large groups and then stand behind the big tree. :lol:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:06 pm

AndrewBurns wrote:Hey Mydget, I'm in Ashfield but I work in Macquarie Park and will be moving to Cheltenham soon. I'm an engineer and I've always done the building and maintenance on my bikes so if you need any help I'm happy to. Drop me a PM or whatever.
That's going to be a pretty short commute for you once you move!
I am in Dural but come through Cheltenham every day. I do most of my own bike maintenance these days, having recently graduated to wheel building. Just need to sort out the garage to get a proper workspace!

Mydget

Postby Mydget » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:30 pm

Wow, wheel building. O.O Once upon a time I tried to true my wheel, I quickly realised I had no idea what I was doing at all. :lol:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:59 pm

Mydget wrote:Wow, wheel building. O.O Once upon a time I tried to true my wheel, I quickly realised I had no idea what I was doing at all. :lol:
I went to a BikeWise course where we spent the whole day building wheels. That gave me enough confidence to try it myself.

Mydget

Postby Mydget » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:59 am

queequeg wrote:
Mydget wrote:Wow, wheel building. O.O Once upon a time I tried to true my wheel, I quickly realised I had no idea what I was doing at all. :lol:
I went to a BikeWise course where we spent the whole day building wheels. That gave me enough confidence to try it myself.
Wow, nice. I used to think slipping in the spokes into the rims was it. Oh, how wrong I was. :lol: :lol: :lol: