ultegra di2

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

ultegra di2

Postby el » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:29 pm

has anyone here had a go at installing the di2 themselves, I've built couple of complete road bikes myself, is there anything I should be aware of before attempting it besides whats in the manual, thanks
el

by BNA » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

BNA

Re: ultegra di2

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 pm

Easier & quicker than mechanical

Have a go, if uv built mechanical bikes b4 u should be fine... The RD tuning process is pretty easy
Dr_Mutley

Postby ray » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:36 pm

+1 as above.

Finally stripped my new bike that came with 105 and replaced it with Ultegra Di2 during the break.

I found things got a touch cramp around the BB, FD and battery area especially when it came to drink bosses/cages on the seat and downtube. That said I have a small 48cm frame. I used a frame with only external cabling - I didn't order the external cabling kit as most of the electronic cables (SD50) would have been too long. I wish I was able to get shorter cables for the FD and battery (smallest I could get at the time was 300mm) so i just have a touch more cable to tuck/hide away. Easy to tune the RD and FD! Electronic shifting is so easy, effortless and simple plus I enabled multi-shift (3 gears) up or down which is handy.
ray

Postby alex » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:57 pm

you just need to do a bit of thinking and planning around the cable routing so you have all the right cable lengths, junction box etc

it is very straightforward to set up. once the internal battery from the new gen di2 becomes popular it will become even easier
alex

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 am

alex wrote:you just need to do a bit of thinking and planning around the cable routing so you have all the right cable lengths, junction box etc

it is very straightforward to set up. once the internal battery from the new gen di2 becomes popular it will become even easier

There are aftermarket versions of internal batteries

http://glorycycles.blogspot.com.au/2013 ... rsion.html

http://paintmybike.com.au/Di2Conversions.aspx
Ross

Postby toolonglegs » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:21 am

No... But I have watched 5 bikes on different teams be stripped of their Di2 this week and turned mechanical... What a pain in the butt!... Lol.
toolonglegs

Postby el » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:58 am

thanks for the encouragement guys, there is actually a pretty instructive video I found on vimeo that takes you through step by step installation
el

Return to The Shed