noobie questions

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

noobie questions

Postby paolo_ski » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey guys got a few questions about the state of my chainrings and transmission in general. Here goes:

1. I recently removed the chainrings to give them a good clean and noticed that some of the teeth had large indentations/scratches. I noticed that a sometimes get a bit of chain slip and clunking when gearing down during a climb. Could these be related and how can I stop it?

2. I'm finding that my chain needs lubing quite often, like less than a week between. Am I doing something wrong or should I switch lubes (finish line dry teflon lube at the moment, I believe)

Thanks in advance and be gentle.. I'm still learning :)
paolo_ski

by BNA » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

BNA

Re: noobie questions

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:01 pm

Time for a new chain?

Ive got indents and scratches on my 20 year old chain rings, but no chainslips. Need pics of yours to tell.

And I dont see why you need to lube so much! A new chain comes lubed, and thatll solve your issues. I personally prefer a drier chain, just to keep things clean. Why do you lube so often? Too much lube, and itll pick up so much crap, and further enhances the wear and tear.
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby paolo_ski » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 pm

QuangVuong wrote:Time for a new chain?

Ive got indents and scratches on my 20 year old chain rings, but no chainslips. Need pics of yours to tell.

And I dont see why you need to lube so much! A new chain comes lubed, and thatll solve your issues. I personally prefer a drier chain, just to keep things clean. Why do you lube so often? Too much lube, and itll pick up so much crap, and further enhances the wear and tear.

this is worrying seeing as my bike is less than a year old and has about 1000km on it. I usually lube it when it starts to make noise, which is just about weekly :?
paolo_ski

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:33 pm

That's very odd. What sort of noise does the chain make? If it were me, Id remove the chain, soak it in fuel(degreaser for everyone else) and then dry it. Then soak in lube. That's a full lube. I've never really liked lubing by dripping on and wiping off. It seems as if its not helping.

But then again its also related to your chainrings. What are they, and how badly worn/damaged is it?
80's Bundy
87 Kestrel 4000
88 Giant Cadex 980c
89 Centurion Carbon
89 Peugeot Carbon Pro
99 Kestrel 200 EMS

QuangVuong

Postby paolo_ski » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:33 pm

I think my issue was that I had not been wiping the excess lube off the chain after application. This was causing to pick up all kinds of dirt and grit from the ground which was making it very loud. All good now, thanks for the suggestions!
paolo_ski

Postby eeksll » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:11 pm

not sure what you got, but most high end chain rings do not have identical teeth on all the teeth. They are different to allow smoother gear changes.

lube ... some lubes just dont work for some people. Hard to compare when all we have is what people post and think they should have. Try a different one when the bottle runs out.
eeksll

Return to The Shed