Repairer for Brooks Titanium saddle

Vintagetourer

Repairer for Brooks Titanium saddle

Postby Vintagetourer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I have a Ti Pro Brooks saddle.
The plate under the rear edge of the saddle to which the rails attach has snapped after 4 years of use.

Does anybody know who might be able to fix it?

It is out of warranty. Brooks say they can repair it in UK or Japan, but I'd prefer to find a way of getting it fixed closer to home.

Any advice appreciated.

Graham Smith
Canberra

Aushiker

Re: Repairer for Brooks Titanium saddle

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:49 pm

I would touch base with http://www.abbotsfordcycles.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andrew

fooch

Postby fooch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:15 am

If you can get the leather part off, then you could get a framebuilder to weld the ti part together again. Problem is that you would have to rivet the leatehr part on again, which would be difficult/impossible.

Abbotsford Cycles are the Australian distributor I believe, so they might have some idea as to what could be done. It's probably no longer under warranty, but it's odd that it should break after only 4 years!
Piled Higher & Deeper

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:38 pm

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

I have just received an email from Brooks which says:

"These types of breakages are synonymous with a failure to retain the proper
level of tension in the saddle, allowing excessive movement to develop in
the metal components.as the leather stretches. Brooks recommend that you
inspect the saddle every 6 months and add more tension if there are any
signs of slackness, or sagging in the leather.
Unfortunately, there are only three approved Brooks repairers on the planet
- Kyoto, Japan - Philadelphia, USA - and Brooks itself in Smethwick, UK.
Being a titanium frame, the repair price will be high.  Brooks would charge
£110.00 for the repair.
You do have the possibility of buying a new frame + 6 rivets and attempting
to make the repair yourself.  The spare parts can be purchased from the
Brooks on-line shop on our website."

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:59 pm

Repeating Andrew's words - give Abbortsford a call.

I've had two out of warranty repairs done by them (I'm in W.A.), with a quick turn around. I phoned up initially, and spoke to one of their knowlegeable guys and he said all good. He suggested sending in an express post satchel, marked with a reference to the conversation, and also including a prepaid return satchel to minimise fuss on return.

If the cost or wait time for an exact like-for-like Ti repair makes repair not worth it - they _may_ be able to substitute steel equivalents. I had a copper nose piece substitued on a Swift.

Lettuce know how you go!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

fooch

Postby fooch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:12 pm

Depending on the cost of the new ti frame, Abbotsford Cycles may also be able to arrange for the old frame to be welded back together, as they have arranged for bike frame mods and repairs in the past. The guy who does their welding/brazing has been known to weld ti as well, if he's still working with them. On the other hand, if the new frame costs less than to replace/repair, then that's obviously the way to go.
Piled Higher & Deeper

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:25 pm

Excellent. Thanks for these pointers.
I'll get in contact with Abbotsford to see what the options are via them. I won't be sending it OS.
Not worth it.
regards gs

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:36 pm

Yes confirmed. All good.

I have spoken with Abbotsford and they said send it on over and they can probably fix it.

Thanks again.
How good is this forum for helpful advice?

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:45 pm

I was just repeating or relaying on the advice someone gave me here on originally when I had Qs about my repair. :)

I dare say it was a helpful Victorian, who was more familiar with Abbortsford services. I'd only known them previously through their website and some magazine ads. They advertised Brooks sales, but not repairs.

Come to think of it - I actually delivered my first repair in person whilst on a trip. If you're in Melbourne, Abbotsford's store is worth a visit. Very old style feel with a lot interesting goodies more tour & randonneur cycling related than most. Infinitely more interesting than a lot of the dime-a-dozen plastic-fantastic shops wallowing in the lastest shite & briney peloton cool bikes. They're only one (or two?) train stops out of the CBD.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

fooch

Postby fooch » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:48 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I was just repeating or relaying on the advice someone gave me here on originally when I had Qs about my repair. :)

I dare say it was a helpful Victorian, who was more familiar with Abbortsford services. I'd only known them previously through their website and some magazine ads. They advertised Brooks sales, but not repairs.

Come to think of it - I actually delivered my first repair in person whilst on a trip. If you're in Melbourne, Abbotsford's store is worth a visit. Very old style feel with a lot interesting goodies more tour & randonneur cycling related than most. Infinitely more interesting than a lot of the dime-a-dozen plastic-fantastic shops wallowing in the lastest shite & briney peloton cool bikes. They're only one (or two?) train stops out of the CBD.
Totally agree. It's just about the only shop I can be bothered going to nowadays. It's two stops if the train stops at Jolimont. The station you want if you visit is Richmond, and the shop is conveniently located right under the station!

And yes love this forum for helpful advice!
Piled Higher & Deeper

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 pm

HappyHumber wrote: I dare say it was a helpful Victorian, who was more familiar with Abbortsford services. I'd only known them previously through their website and some magazine ads.
If you're in Melbourne, Abbotsford's store is worth a visit. Very old style feel with a lot interesting goodies more tour & randonneur cycling related.
I have only ever come across helpful Victorians. There are no other types are there? :)
I cycled to Melbourne not long ago. I could have dropped my saddle at Abbotsfords and saved the postage.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/laketolake" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More seriously, it is great to give touring-supportive shops a plug and support.
They sounded very knowledgeable on the phone. I look forward to getting to know them.

cycles gitane
Location: Near the Dandenong Creek cycle trail, Eastern Melbourne

Postby cycles gitane » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:13 pm

fooch wrote:Abbotsford Cycles are the Australian distributor I believe, so they might have some idea as to what could be done. It's probably no longer under warranty, but it's odd that it should break after only 4 years!
My memory is that Abbotsford Cycles were a sole importer of Brooks products for many years. They are a premium dealer. :D
Then the Netti company got the rights for distribution Australia wide with the recent bike "boom".

Abbotsford cycles are a great shop and know the bike repair business inside out and support the cycle industry.
+ 1 to comments above.

cycles gitane ( a satisfied customer)
There is NO room in the shed for the next bike! New shed rqd.

spirito

Postby spirito » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:34 am

I love Abbotsford as well, they're knowledgeable, stock some really neat and hard to find stuff and they're always fair.

I however don't see why they would weld or repair your broken ti cantle plate. There's f_k all money in it and if it fails or breaks again sometime in the future they could end up on the wrong end of a law suit, especially as it's now modified + repaired in a matter not approved by the manufacturer who do have the exact spare part that's needed to facilitate an authorised repair.

I'm sorry for you that our expensive Ti railed brooks saddle is busted but looking for a cheap solution is something I wouldn't advise for your safety nor would I expect anyone locally to fix it for small coin when it could open them up to a large law suit. Get the cantle plate and the Abbotsford boys will have it fixed good as new. In fact I'd send it to them direct as I'm sure they have the small parts and can order the Ti cantle for you. That way your ass is covered so to speak ;)
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:50 pm

"I however don't see why they would weld or repair your broken ti cantle plate. There's f_k all money in it and if it fails or breaks again sometime in the future they could end up on the wrong end of a law suit, especially as it's now modified + repaired in a matter not approved by the manufacturer who do have the exact spare part that's needed to facilitate an authorised repair."

They may or may not fix the plate. You are jumping a bit far too ahead and head on into a few wrong conclusions.
In my phone chat with them, we agreed I'd post it down to them, they would have a look at it and then we'd work out the next step. I am in no rush, and I may indeed buy the kit from Brooks and have it posted to them.

Or it might be too expensive to fix. Or it might come back with a steel sub-structure. Let's wait and see.

Stay posted. Same bat station. Same bat time. You will be first to know.

spirito

Postby spirito » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Vintagetourer wrote: You are jumping a bit far too ahead and head on into a few wrong conclusions.
Not my conclusions, just pointing out the unlikelihood of what others had suggested earlier in the thread.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:31 pm

All will be revealed soon. I've just posted the venerable saddle to Abbotsford.

The plate is (just...very fine)) cracked in two places around where the two rails are attached. The saddle is still sturdy to downward pressure. The only hint the plate was broken was if I lifted the saddle sides.

Despite what Brooks said (see extract of their email above), there was no slackness in the leather part of the saddle. It looks to me if the plate has broken because of fatigue and partly design/material flaws.

This Ti saddle has only done a fraction of the kilometres my first (1979) Brooks saddle did. It lasted about 25 years of constant use. They just don't make them like they did in the old days. Which is good. They weighed a ton in the old days.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Could have been a bad batch of titanium as well. You will find out if in 4 years your replacement plate dies again
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Could have been a bad batch of titanium as well. You will find out if in 4 years your replacement plate dies again
True. The metal parts look a bit flaky and under-engineered. Especially compared to my original Brooks which was reminiscent of WWII battleship solidity draped with half a cow hide.

We may not end up even repairing this newer version back to a Ti saddle. Depends on cost. It may be better to go for a steel alloy fix.

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:22 pm

A happy conclusion for my saddle tale. (the original post)

Abbotsford Cycles were very helpful and ended up repairing the saddle for $119 exc. postage.

I decided to go with replacing the Ti with the steel bits.

So it is back home, fixed and looking as good as ever.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Special thanks to Abbotsford Cycles for the top service.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:48 am

Good to hear. The Brooks Ti saddles don't have a good rep for durability.

Any idea were I could get a new leather top for a 1972 B15narrow?

Vintagetourer

Postby Vintagetourer » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:05 am

You might need to look for a 40 year old cow:)

More seriously, call Abbotsford. The leather craftsman they use might be able to help.

Re. Ti saddles, I have just put one through an absolute hammering on the Gibb River Road.
The most corrugated, roughest ride I've ever done and the saddle came out unscathed.

spirito

Postby spirito » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Vintagetourer wrote:You might need to look for a 40 year old cow:)

I know a place where there's more than a few ...