Converting cx to roadie

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Converting cx to roadie

Postby TomBikes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:04 pm

I purchased a masi CX late last year as a step into cycling. I bought it because I loved the versatility a cx bike has. Now I'm finding my self using it less and less off road and on rail trails and more so on roads. I'm about to order some thinner tyres and am curious if there are any cheap ways I can move to a more road like geometry. Flipping my stem? Removing spaces? I'm young and fit and find myself in the drops as much as I can (somewhat limited to the way shimmano 2300 downshift)

The bike also has cantis which I have tuned to be pretty decent but is it worth changing? If so,would i have cable pull problems?
TomBikes

by BNA » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 pm

BNA

Re: Converting cx to roadie

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:19 pm

I ride a CX bike - about 17,000 kms in about 20 months - and about 50% of it is 'road' riding. When I know I'm doing a big road ride I swap in a different set of lighter wheels with 25c tyres. I don't alter the geometry (I'm probably a couple of decades older than you) but I have ridden some long road rides on the bike (eg. Audax Alpine 130 ) and regularly ride bunch road rides or down Beach Rd here in Melbourne, and have no trouble with the pace of those rides.

I'd prefer road brakes as well but the Avid Shorty Ultimates are good enough for me. Changing to road brakes is problematic anyway with the way a cx frame is set up.

Out of the shop most CX bikes, top-level comp bikes being the exception, are set up with a few spacers and the stem pointing 'up' so there's definitely scope for adjustment if you prefer. Try that and some better wheels and tyres for road riding and see how you go.
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:24 pm

CX bikes are basically road bikes... slightly longer for more stability, slightly different angles sometimes... if you want to get lower up front then drop the stem down ( same as you would with a road bike ) ... or flip the stem if possible or get a new stem.
Brakes I wouldn't bother touching... you won't be able to run a road caliper due to different mounting... canti's work well so why waste your money.
The only thing you might want to change is your chain rings ... cross rings are usually 48/36 or around there... you might start running out of gears around the 45-50kmph mark depending on your pedaling style... a 50 big ring may be better. But you may need a longer chain.
I rode all winter on my cross bike... trained on the road during the week, put cross tires on for weekend races in the mud. I ride same race wheels on the mud as on the road... so basically change tyres and that's it.
toolonglegs

Postby TomBikes » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:42 pm

Im in luck, checked my bike and im running a 50/34. Cassete is 12-25 which is pretty stand for 8sp im guessing.
TomBikes

Postby TomBikes » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:51 pm

I dropped my bars a 2 cm. My handle bars fill a little stiff now and don't flop to the side when i lift the front real up (as sheldon brown explained). I read through his page and only symptoms of a stiff headset, not a fix. Any help?
TomBikes

Postby TomBikes » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:05 pm

D'oh. Solved it. I had forgotten to loosen my stem before adjusting the top bolt... :oops:
TomBikes

Return to The Shed