Carbon Frame Di2 (electronic) conversion

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Carbon Frame Di2 (electronic) conversion

Postby Fixie82 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 pm

Has anyone here had their non Di2 compatible frame converted to Di2 through a process such as what is offered through Paint My Bike http://www.paintmybike.com.au/Di2Conversions.aspx

I have a frame I love that has many more years of life left in it, however I would like to upgrade to an electronic groupset and am not all that keen to go the external routing and leave internal cabling ports open. Not really the look I was hoping for although it may have to be this way.

very happy to hear from people who have friends who have been through the process, or seen the finished product first hand.

Also are there any other options for this?

Any advice or comments are always appreciated
Fixie82

by BNA » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:51 am

BNA

Re: Carbon Frame Di2 (electronic) conversion

Postby marsbe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:51 am

Old thread but I'd be interested to hear stories if anyone knows of someone getting this done.

I'm considering it myself but wondering if the cost will outweigh the potential benefits.
marsbe

Re: Carbon Frame Di2 (electronic) conversion

Postby liamb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:10 am

Hi

I looked into the Paint My bike thing but figured I had the tools and the basic skills so I had a crack my self. I did this 15 months on my Derosa Avant. Have been riding and racing the bike over all sorts of terrain with no issues at all. I can go through all the details if you want but the one thing I found a little tricky was creating an opening in the aluminium BB frame to insert the 4 hole junction box up into the frame. A Dremel is very handy It took a few months of riding and cleaning to get all the aluminium shavings out of the frame. Running the wires in a frame not set up for internal routing can be tricky if there are blockages especially in carbon frames. Park Tools sell a kit to do the trick on a frame set up for internal wiring but I have seen it help for a non internal frame. I spoke to an older Shimano R&D bloke who was around for the first few years of the Di2 development and he told me initially they just drilled holes in the frames (Carbon and Aluminium) ran the wires and rode them. He told me he still has one and he rides it often.

Bill
TdF 2011: as Cadel Evans crosses the finish at Alpe-d’Huez: "I reckon tonight in hindsight he may have won the Tour de France tomorrow." The man Phil Ligget !!!
liamb

Return to The Shed