spoke pulling thru rim

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

spoke pulling thru rim

Postby Road Kill » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:22 am

Just wondering how common it is for a spoke to pull through a rim?

I have a 3yr old Giant road bike that is only used on cyclepaths and roads. It has only done about 7500kms and a spoke pulled through the rim on the back wheel. I have never seen this before and have cycled for many years and had wheels last more than 50,000kms, but this one failed before the original set of tyres wore out. So how common is it for spokes to pull through the rim?

the rim is an Alexrim (piece of crap aluminium 700c), can I say that here? :)
Road Kill

by BNA » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm

BNA

Re: spoke pulling thru rim

Postby eeksll » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:18 pm

My 2009 giant CRX4 had alexrims. There where several spokes on the rear wheel where the nipple hole was cracking and about to be pulled through. It was replaced by giant. About a year, and maybe about 5000km but with a rack and panniers.
eeksll

Postby biker jk » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:39 pm

With cheap weak rims it is pretty common. It can also happen on more expensive rims if the spokes are overtensioned.
biker jk

Postby ironhanglider » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:24 pm

It can also happen with a point pressure on particular spokes such as getting something jammed in them when the wheel is turning. (ie someone else's axle nut) this is why I recommend aluminium nipples for track bikes because they are more likely to break before the rim does.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Happened to my rear wheel this year. 10 of the 18 drive side spokes pulled through the rim on the inside, and 3 pulled right through with gaping holes on the outside.
That was a Mavic Open Pro. I think the bike shop over tensioned the wheel when it was built, or the rim was faulty (or both!)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby biker jk » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 pm

queequeg wrote:Happened to my rear wheel this year. 10 of the 18 drive side spokes pulled through the rim on the inside, and 3 pulled right through with gaping holes on the outside.
That was a Mavic Open Pro. I think the bike shop over tensioned the wheel when it was built, or the rim was faulty (or both!)

Shallow, box section rims can't take as much tension as deeper V or U shaped rims. I recall Mavic recommends tension of 90-100kgf max. In contrast, my 23mm, 28mm U shaped rims are tensioned to 130kgf on the drive side and no problems.
biker jk

Postby queequeg » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:30 pm

biker jk wrote:
queequeg wrote:Happened to my rear wheel this year. 10 of the 18 drive side spokes pulled through the rim on the inside, and 3 pulled right through with gaping holes on the outside.

Shallow, box section rims can't take as much tension as deeper V or U shaped rims. I recall Mavic recommends tension of 90-100kgf max. In contrast, my 23mm, 28mm U shaped rims are tensioned to 130kgf on the drive side and no problems.

I have no idea what the shop tensioned them up to. When I swapped the rim over to my old A719 I brought the drive side up to 100kg. So far no issues.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Return to The Shed