Fullstrip and Rebuild DVD

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Fullstrip and Rebuild DVD

Postby HybridBuilder » Sun May 25, 2008 4:37 pm

G'day riders! My first post in the forum!

Have you guys seen any video/DVD that demonstrates how to remove every single component of a road bike, then rebuild? Retro bike in particular. I recently picked up a classic bike with following parts.

Shimano Positron Light Action derailleur
Suntour 6 Speed Freewheel 13T-21T
Shimnao Biopace 52T,42T Chain rings
Shimano Sante FC-5000 Cranks
Shimano IG Chain
Shimano Free hubs

Everything mention above must be changed except the hybrid crankset. Unfortunately, I just know how to perform simple task like changing tube, brake pad and adjusting gear. Obviously, it's not enough to perform a fullstrip and rebuild.

Also, where is the best place to purchase those classical components except eBay?

It will be greatly appreciated if someone could shed some light. Cheers!
Last edited by HybridBuilder on Thu May 29, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HybridBuilder

by BNA » Sun May 25, 2008 5:02 pm

BNA

Postby Deanj » Sun May 25, 2008 5:02 pm

G'day

Park tools is a good website and you can also try Sheldon Brown.
Deanj

Postby Jean » Sun May 25, 2008 9:06 pm

The web sites are probably the most useful, but if you're dead keen on a DVD I know ProBikeKit (http://www.probikekit.com/) offer maintenance DVDs (though regions etc. might be an issue). No idea how good they are.
Jean

Postby HybridBuilder » Sun May 25, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks Jean! Just found a review on that DVD, it seems alright for beginner like me despite of some negative feedback.
HybridBuilder

Postby HybridBuilder » Sun May 25, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks needsapush! I have been to those web sites before. They are very informative indeed. However, I still prefer some motion pictures to help.
HybridBuilder

Postby GSXR1 » Sun May 25, 2008 11:35 pm

Jean wrote:The web sites are probably the most useful, but if you're dead keen on a DVD I know ProBikeKit (http://www.probikekit.com/) offer maintenance DVDs (though regions etc. might be an issue). No idea how good they are.
I have the PBK DVD - it's not too bad, but it is pretty much basic maintenance (chapters are road bike fitting, gear set up & maintenance, headset set up & maintenance, brake set up & maintenance, puncture repair and wheel truing, handlebar tape fitting and cleaning, lubing & inspecting) not full bore stripdown & rebuild
GSXR1

Postby HybridBuilder » Thu May 29, 2008 12:30 pm

Thanks everyone! I finally have found something close to what I was looking for, which is BicycleTutor (dot) com
HybridBuilder

Postby il padrone » Fri May 30, 2008 11:17 pm

When I was a lad, Richard's Bicycle Book was the bible, and it got me through maintaining, upgrading, stripping and rebuilding several bikes. Now he has published Richard's 21st Century Bicycle Book. His books have always been a lot more than just maintenance, covering riding in traffic, touring, reasons for cycling, a bit of cycling history and lots more.

Worth buying for your bicycle library.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Return to The Shed