Worn Chain

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Worn Chain

Postby thecaptn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:25 am

Hi All,

Can anyone please tell me what is the result of continued riding on a stretched chain may be? I assume that damage to cassette and ring gears is a result but what happens if one continues to ride until long after the chain has passed it's 1mm of wear? What other types of failure or problems can one possibly expect?

Thanks Pete
thecaptn

by BNA » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 am

BNA

Re: Worn Chain

Postby clackers » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:45 am

As I understand it, it'll still be rideable for ages until it snaps and you're up for new rings and sprockets as well, because it's worn them down, too.

A rule of thumb (quibble away!) might be 5000km from a chain, and do your cassette every three chains.
clackers

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 am

it will eventually slip when you apply a threshold amount of torque.

at that point, you will certainly need to replace chain, cassette and chainrings. you're better off replacing the chain when it stretches by 1/16", to preserve the other components.
jules21

Postby jacks1071 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:40 am

Its a false economy to run the chain past manufacuturers replacement, if you let it go too long the worn chain will flog out your cassette and chain rings meaning they will need early replacement. Both of which cost far more than chains.

Keep the chain clean and fresh and the rest of your drive train will last a very long time.

If you snap a chain, they almost always break when you are standing up. Best case scenario is you get to walk home, worst case is you have a serious crash.
Our Website is: http://www.pro-liteoz.com Find us on Facebook by searching for "Pro-Lite Australia"
jacks1071

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 pm

I've just learnt this lesson last month.
Connex chain had done about 8,000kms and was way over it's 0.75% max stretch guidelines.

Result:

Large chainring needed replacing
Cassette needed replacing
Shifting felt terrible
Each pedal stroke felt like I had a bucket of sand inside my chain
Loss of confidence when applying power

So an $80 chainring and $60 cassette had to be thrown away because I was too cheap to buy a $30 chain 6 months ago.
Rex

Postby Big_Red » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:32 pm

A chain wear tool that indicates wear over 0.5% & 0.75% is a cheap investment and will save you a lot of money in the long run. I use a ParkTools one which is a go/no go tool. While 5000 km is an estimate YMMV according to the conditions ridden in and how often your cleaning of the chain is. Get a tool and know for certain instead of guessing. When you can pick up an ultegra chain for only $25 these days, don't risk premature wearing of your cassette or chainrings...
Big_Red

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

Big_Red wrote:A chain wear tool that indicates wear over 0.5% & 0.75% is a cheap investment and will save you a lot of money in the long run. I use a ParkTools one which is a go/no go tool. While 5000 km is an estimate YMMV according to the conditions ridden in and how often your cleaning of the chain is. Get a tool and know for certain instead of guessing. When you can pick up an ultegra chain for only $25 these days, don't risk premature wearing of your cassette or chainrings...

a cheap alternative is to use a ruler.
jules21

Postby thecaptn » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks Everyone, sound advise. I've just got back from a long tour and the chain is the origional one which came with the bike. It was ok when I set out but is well worn now and I can fit my 1mm guide in fairly easily. The chain is a Shimano 10 speed running on SLX, when purchasing a new one is there anything I need to know other than 10 speed Shimano?
thecaptn

Postby jules21 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:56 pm

thecaptn wrote:.. when purchasing a new one is there anything I need to know other than 10 speed Shimano?

any 10 speed shimano or SRAM compatible chains will do you ok. campag won't.
jules21

Return to The Shed