Bickerton front wheel ??

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Bickerton front wheel ??

Postby stevendavid75 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Hi all,

This post might straddle a couple topics.
I recently picked up a bickerton folder. I didn't quite realise the state of the front rim.
Anyway I need to get another rim/ wheel/ tyre / tube but the 14 x 1 3/8 is proving to be a challenge? So firstly if anyone has any of the above and happy to part with it please let me know.

Alternatively, assuming this may not be a completely isolated experience wondering if anyone has used other wheels, either a different size bike wheel ie 12' or 16' ( pending spacing/ brake reach) or pram wheel whatever ?
No sure of hub axle width sorry.

Happy to hear your thoughts

Steve
stevendavid75

by BNA » Sat May 11, 2013 1:51 am

BNA

Re: Bickerton front wheel ??

Postby rifraf » Sat May 11, 2013 1:51 am

I'd get in touch with one of the folding societies in the UK. I'd assume lots more knowledge about Bickertons than your likely to find here simply by virtue of numbers. If you have no luck via google, let me know and I'll ask for a website address at my local Moulton forum.
Surly Ogre, Carry Freedom Y-frame Trailer, Extrawheel trailer.
rifraf

Postby high_tea » Sun May 12, 2013 2:27 pm

The ByK e250, which is a reasonably popular kids' bike has 14" wheels. Maybe a retailer could help? Or look for a second-hand one?
high_tea

Postby Kingpin » Tue May 14, 2013 12:59 am

Hi Steve - not sure if you've found your answer yet, but you can use an ETRTO 305 Dahon front wheel - nominally a 16" wheel instead of a 14", but only a half inch or so more in radius than the ETRTO 298 fitted to the Bickerton. They fit fine, but you will need a Dahon wheel as the Bickerton's hub width is 80mm (Dahon is 74 I think, no problem) - standard hubs are 100mm and won't fit. You can use the same inner tube. The brake and mudguard will still fit and you will have a choice of several modern tyres.
Better braking in the rain too as you will have an alloy rim.

Otherwise the correct tyre for the Bickerton (Raleigh Record IIRC) is still available in the UK.

Hope that helps!

Kevin

stevendavid75 wrote:Hi all,

This post might straddle a couple topics.
I recently picked up a bickerton folder. I didn't quite realise the state of the front rim.
Anyway I need to get another rim/ wheel/ tyre / tube but the 14 x 1 3/8 is proving to be a challenge? So firstly if anyone has any of the above and happy to part with it please let me know.

Alternatively, assuming this may not be a completely isolated experience wondering if anyone has used other wheels, either a different size bike wheel ie 12' or 16' ( pending spacing/ brake reach) or pram wheel whatever ?
No sure of hub axle width sorry.

Happy to hear your thoughts

Steve
Kingpin

Return to The Shed