Loud squeak when up shifting

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Loud squeak when up shifting

Postby cant_stop » Tue May 07, 2013 10:29 am

Hi everyone,

My CAAD10 makes a very loud squeak sound when I upshift (shift into an easier gear) whilst in the big ring. This happens even under 'low pressure shifting' and is very annoying during group rides. The whole drivetrain (105) is well cleaned, relatively unworn and well lubed.

Any idea as to the cause of this noise?

Thanks
cant_stop

by BNA » Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 am

BNA

Re: Loud squeak when up shifting

Postby twizzle » Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 am

From the derailleur?
I ride, therefore I am.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...
twizzle

Postby cant_stop » Tue May 07, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks Twizzle, had a look at the RD and seem to have fixed the problem. Greased the RD spring which didn't help, so I lubed the jockey wheel bearing which has stopped the squeaking. Weird how it only squeaked on up shifts though.
cant_stop

Postby Saturnstarzz » Tue May 07, 2013 11:49 am

Is the mouse Lubed?

As Twizzle said wheres the squeak coming from?
Saturnstarzz

Postby twizzle » Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm

cant_stop wrote:Thanks Twizzle, had a look at the RD and seem to have fixed the problem. Greased the RD spring which didn't help, so I lubed the jockey wheel bearing which has stopped the squeaking. Weird how it only squeaked on up shifts though.

There's a lot more side load when going to a larger cog. I've had the squeak before, but only with a ceramic bush (Ultegra) just before it seized. 105 *used* to be plastic on a metal sleeve, not sure how that would squeak at all, it should be self-lubricating.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby bychosis » Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 pm

I had a squeak when changing gears a while back, turned out to be the jockey wheels needing some love (lube). Not sure if it was up or down changing was a while ago.

Edit: solution found above, should read posts a little more thoroughly.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby ldrcycles » Tue May 07, 2013 9:51 pm

I've had the same noise for a little while, I just assumed it was from the shifter cable and was 'gunna get round to it' :roll: . I'll give the jockey wheel lubing a go.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby bychosis » Tue May 28, 2013 8:01 am

Rode a 'new' bike to work yesterday after giving it a quick once over. Apparently too quick, on the way home the squeal when shifting appeared and turned into whenever the gears were out of whack which by the end of the ride was all the time :x . This morning quickly lubed the jockey wheels and noise gone, for a bit :shock: . Will need to lube them better tonight, probably by laying the bike over on each side and letting the lube get right in to the jockey wheel bearings. Wish I'd taken the time to do it right this morning.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Duck! » Tue May 28, 2013 8:43 am

twizzle wrote:
cant_stop wrote:Thanks Twizzle, had a look at the RD and seem to have fixed the problem. Greased the RD spring which didn't help, so I lubed the jockey wheel bearing which has stopped the squeaking. Weird how it only squeaked on up shifts though.

There's a lot more side load when going to a larger cog. I've had the squeak before, but only with a ceramic bush (Ultegra) just before it seized. 105 *used* to be plastic on a metal sleeve, not sure how that would squeak at all, it should be self-lubricating.

The bushings in 105, Tiagra & Sora upper jockey wheels are steel-on steel, and will make a hideous squeak if not greased periodically. They'll also wear out and develop slop, which will affect shifting sharpness.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby twizzle » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 am

Duck! wrote:The bushings in 105, Tiagra & Sora upper jockey wheels are steel-on steel, and will make a hideous squeak if not greased periodically. They'll also wear out and develop slop, which will affect shifting sharpness.

Nope. The plastic jockey wheel rotates on what would normally be considered a crush-tube, that the bolt goes through.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Postby Mulger bill » Tue May 28, 2013 6:52 pm

twizzle wrote:
Duck! wrote:The bushings in 105, Tiagra & Sora upper jockey wheels are steel-on steel, and will make a hideous squeak if not greased periodically. They'll also wear out and develop slop, which will affect shifting sharpness.

Nope. The plastic jockey wheel rotates on what would normally be considered a crush-tube, that the bolt goes through.

Nope. The upper jockey has a steel insert.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby twizzle » Tue May 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
twizzle wrote:

Nope. The upper jockey has a steel insert.

:oops: My bad.
I ride, therefore I am.
twizzle

Return to The Shed