Putting tough tyres back on

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Putting tough tyres back on

Postby willsmother » Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Spent 1 1/2 hours trying to put my Hutchinson Scorpion tyre back on, ending up getting some help from our local guards. I would really appreciate tips on how to make putting tough tyres on easier. Its embarrassing needing to ask for help. I have small not very strong hands so need guile rather than brute force.
Oh and finding another thorn stuck in the tyre after all that was one of those oh *&^* moments. Lucky it was a Slime tube and sealed itself.
willsmother

by BNA » Sun May 12, 2013 11:30 pm

BNA

Re: Putting tough tyres back on

Postby eeksll » Sun May 12, 2013 11:30 pm

The way a rim allows a tyre to get on, is the middle of the rim has a smaller diameter. So you aim is to put the part of the bead already on the rim, in the middle of the rim this should give you enough slack to pull the rest of the bead over and into the rim.

I have used velcro in the past to help keep the bead in the middle, generally on its own the bead will move to one side of the rim.

For some rims, this middle bit is not quite deep enough add in some thickish rim tape and a slightly tighter tyre the problem compounds. I have a rim like this (I spent an hour and a half trying to get the FIRST bead in!!!). I installed the tyre on another rim, pumped it up to 120 psi which I assume managed to stretch the new tyre bead cause I managed to install it on my other rim after.

I googled your tyre and noticed it was a MTB tyre, so not sure if either of the 2 above options will help, my only experience with MTB tyres is they are really easy to get on and off. Sometimes your tyre and rim combination may just cause too many issues in this respect (ie maybe try another tyre?).
eeksll

Postby revinR1 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:43 am

Personally I`ve never really struck a tuff cycle tyre,but when I was doing my own motor bike racing tyres myself I used some windex sprayed on the bead as a lube to help it slip over,might be worth a try.Just got to be quick before it drys.Tyre wont slip afterward which is great,unlike some of the "other lubes" i`ve seen people use
revinR1

Postby RonK » Mon May 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby willsmother » Mon May 13, 2013 9:45 pm

thanks to everyone for advice. I don't blame the tyre. I'm just crap at putting it on. I ended up ordering online a Lezyne tool with a pedal spanner on one end and a tyre lever on the other. Its extra long and people online seemed to like it. After I had ordered it, I saw the tyre jack which will be another option if the first does not work. Hopefully my Slime tubes will stop me having to try out the theory for a little while.
willsmother

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 am

Those Lezyne tools are the go...got two pairs of them and they do the really tough tubeless MTB tyres with ease. Should work for you too. Plus they aren't as big as they look so they are easy to fit in the saddle bag...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle
silentbutdeadly

Return to The Shed