Changin' Cables

Chuckles1981

Changin' Cables

Postby Chuckles1981 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:11 pm

I could'nt change gears on my new MTB which is only about 3 months old, i was missing the first 3 gears. :x

I toke it into the shop and was told that the cable end has come loose in the housing end :o and the end was all frayed the guy said he's only seen this once and out of a million cables only 3 fails like this and ever since i have all my gears. :D

But my question is if it happens again how would i go about changing it myself.. i know there are diffesnt cables for brakes and derailers, I just want to know how much they go for and whats some ways of changing cables cos i know they will loose they tension also.

Thanks Guys
NOW
Trek 7.5 FX
Jamis Ranger 3.0

NEXT
Giant Trance X1

LuckyPierre

Re: Changin' Cables

Postby LuckyPierre » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Chuckles1981 wrote: ... I toke it into the shop ...
Well, there's your problem :wink:
Chuckles1981 wrote: ... if it happens again how would i go about changing it myself...
Cables cost about $2 each (or more for poncy ones).
Instructions are on the Shimano website. This link takes you to an example - just navigate to the pages from the 'Technical Documents' section on the appropriate product pages.
I'm sure that there are plenty of other sources too.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks