What are the best hubs money can buy?

janus77

What are the best hubs money can buy?

Postby janus77 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:23 am

Just out of interest?

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:33 am

What is your definition of "best"?

Durability, smoothness, light weight, strength etc. don't all come in the same package.

janus77

Postby janus77 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:36 am

I guess the best balance of light weight, durability and smoothness..?

Or what are the lightest weight, what are the most durable, and which are the smoothest.

Probably smoothest is what I really mean.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Maybe a mechanic or real techno weenie could offer something but I don't know that there's a good answer to that. There are are plenty of good quality hub manufacturers out there and I don't know that you could really pick much between them.

The rough guide might be the top of the line from each manaufacturer (be it Campy, Shimano, DT, Chris King, etc, etc), but even that's not much to work by. A top line hub might have compromises in design or materials to save weight.

I've got a Shimano 105 front hub at least 15 years old (and I got it second hand on a steel Shogun Ninja - that long ago), which just goes and goes and goes - the back might have lasted as long too if a LBS hadn't reassembled it with too few ball bearings in about 1996 :evil: . My Campy Chorus hubs are much prettier and perhaps have better workmanship in them but I don't think they necessarily roll any better.

challs

Postby challs » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:36 pm

Phil wood have quite a following among the fixed gear crowd - they look pretty nice and are supposed to be really great hubs.
http://www.philwood.com/

Chris King also usually get a shout:

http://www.chrisking.com/hubs/hbs_classic.html

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:45 pm

janus77 wrote:I guess the best balance of light weight, durability and smoothness..?

Or what are the lightest weight, what are the most durable, and which are the smoothest.

Probably smoothest is what I really mean.
In the Shimano range, you appear to be describing Ultegra.

While there are heaps to choose from, up from that would be White Industries.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Probably lightweight... http://www.carbonsports.com/LW_Ventoux.lasso
But you can't get them without a wheel :lol: unless you want to glue your own spokes and rim on :lol: .
Unibet riders not only raced on them but had to train on them only as part of their contract...not sure what they would have done if they where aloud to ride Roubaix thou :lol:

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:57 pm

challs wrote:Phil wood have quite a following among the fixed gear crowd - they look pretty nice and are supposed to be really great hubs.
http://www.philwood.com/
+1

They also make good hubs for touring and have a good reputation for reliability.
There is only one BicycleWA.

geoffs

Postby geoffs » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:33 pm

I'm pretty happy with the way my dura-ace hubs roll. A good way to test for how smooth they are is hold the the wheel with the valve horizontal and see how many times the wheel will move back and forth before stopping.

Chris king are bomb proof but noisy - sound like angry bee! mine have been on the tandem for nearly 11 years (20,00kms approx) and are still as good as new.
Phil wood are smooth and last forever but heavy.

cheers

Geoff

Whitz End

Postby Whitz End » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:53 pm

Good hubs on a budget come in the form of the Hope series. Beautiful they are! Yeah!

toff

Postby toff » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:41 am

For the track/fixie crowd, Phil Wood hubs are renowned. I'm not sure why they use an allen-key to tighten up the nuts, though. I've heard horror stories of wheels coming loose because an allen-key doesn't allow for sufficient tightening torque. That would be their only downfall. Otherwise, they don't break, and almost never wear out.

For legend status, though, give me a set of Maxi-Car hubs. French hubs from the thirties to the fifties. They were the first hubs to offer "sealed" bearings all those years ago. I've heard stories of people riding several hundred thousand k's on one set of hubs. Try doing that today (if you live long enough!)

531db

Postby 531db » Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Chater Lea hubs from the 1950's.

Smoooooooooooooooooooooooth!!!!!!

Kid_Carbine

Postby Kid_Carbine » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:36 am

No doubt about it, Harden Bacon Slicers from the mid to late 40's with oiled cartrige bearings.
Smooth, beautiful, distinctive, exclusive, classy, sassy, serviceable & hyper cool. You are NEVER second rate with these in your ride, yesterday, today, or tomorrow.

Hmmmmm, what's in the box?. ............................... No, not this.
ImageImage

Yes, it's this one. .................... Even a special model for those who can't make up their mind.
ImageImage

Some important information.
Carbine & SJH cycles, & Quicksilver BMX
Now that's AUSTRALIAN to the core.

Whitz End

Postby Whitz End » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:57 am

^^ I think you win.