GP4000S not puncture resistant...

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

GP4000S not puncture resistant...

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:00 am

Been trying different road tyres to see which ones are best for dealing with all the debris on the road these days...

Maxxis detonators (oem on bike) suffered multiple punctures.

Maxxis re-fuse were bullet proof over several thousand km; including suffering slices and embedded glass fragments without a single puncture. They did roll a bit slower.

Continental GP4000s failed within a couple of hundred km's of new; first piece of real debris left the side wall cut through. They are light and roll fast, but they don't resist punctures at all.

I am going to stick with the Maxxis re-fuses for my general purpose road bike...
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

by BNA » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:21 am

BNA

Re: GP4000S not puncture resistant...

Postby alex » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:21 am

i am not sure what you expected given that the gp4000 is essentially a race tyre
if i get killed while out on my bike i dont want a 'memorial ride' by random punters i have never met.
alex

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:22 am

Yep; fair call.

Gave them a go because they claimed they were puncture resistant.
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...
brett.hooker

Postby thecaptn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:38 am

I've done about 2500km on my gp4000s without a punture, I find them to be good.
thecaptn

Postby trainedmonkey » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:12 am

I'm currently running a set of re-fuse tyres. Sometimes I wonder why I bother carrying a pump when I ride.
trainedmonkey

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:29 am

Before dissing your tyres have a think about what's caused your punctures. Something's will puncture any tyre regardless of what it's made from.

Also think of the conditions. Damp roads are the worst. Just enough moisture for stuff to stick to the tyre on the first revolution. Next revolution round and it gets driven into the tyre and lo and behold, you have a puncture.

Another issue is to much air pressure. I find I get less punctures and better tyre life at lower pressures. I am 76kg and run my 23mm tyres around 100psi rear and 80 in the front.

Also wider tyres tend to be better at resisting punctures. If your bike frame will fit them, try some 25-28mm tyres.
singlespeedscott

Postby beanspropulsion » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:01 am

Try Maxxis Rouleur.

Had mine on for a while now, used to swear by Maxxis refuse (255 grams) but these are lighter (200 grams). They also have same resilient properties.

Unfortunately no tyres are going to last when they get slashed at speed by bogan dust. My last refuse got slashed by a half broken bottle bottom that I just saw at the last moment, It didn't puncture! Slash was almost across the full width so I binned it.

Got mine for $35 each, bargain.
beanspropulsion

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:04 am

I've had the opposite experience of the OP. I tried Maxxis Refuse and got several punctures within a couple of thousand kms. They are also slow and heavy. But they are cheap.
GP4000S are reasonably puncture resistant, better than the Maxxis and roll heaps better and are light. Probably double the price of Maxxis but I got double the life and and spent half as long fixing punctures.
I'll admit it's not a strictly fair or scientific comparison unless the comparison is riding through the same area with the same hazards and same weather etc.
Ross

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 am

I have run GP4000s's for several thousand k's with only one penetration puncture from a bit of tyre belt wire. I thought that was pretty darn good.

Sidewalls are different though. Unless you're riding off road where toughness becomes important then thats just one-off bad luck that you ptobably wont see again for a long time. Ive never had a sidewall cut on road..

The GPs tread does cut up a bit from glass and the like but ive never had any go through or compromise the casing integrity.
trailgumby

Postby macca33 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 am

The CAAD10 has been wearing GP4000s for about 2,300Km - a couple of minor cuts in the tread area, but no punctures yet - touch wood!

The Defy runs Maxxis Re-Fuse folding - wheels / tyres transferred off the old bike - and have done around 2000Km - again, a couple of minor cuts is all.

The GP4000s roll sooo much better than the Re-Fuse.

I genuinely try to avoid running over garbage - although sometimes is is too hard to avoid.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800 & CAAD10 Team Ult6800

macca33

Postby cyclotaur » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 am

I've heard nothing but good things about the GP4000s. But of course if you are commuting and the damp roads have a fair bit of debris then punctures are more likely, I guess.

I never worried about punctures for ages until my original tyres (which were fairly lightweight race-style CX tyres) wore down after about 5000kms and began to puncture repeatedly. So I now carries spare tube, pump etc but haven't punctured since replacing the original tyres with Vittoria Randonneur CrossPro 35s, a tour/commute-style tyre.

Also I've never punctured my first pair of ContiGatorskin 28s (now on my son's bike), my Vittoria Zaffiro25s (my old Raceline roadie), or the Vittoria Rubino Pro25s I have on my 'road' wheels.

But I still carry a tube/levers/pump now and have fixed a few flats for others, including a mate riding brand new Giant tyres. :lol:
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby spirito » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:00 am

Blame Dunlop. His silly idea of riding on inflated tubes within tyres is the real brain fart. Before he came along there was never any threads on internet bike forums arguing the merits and whys, wherefores about tyres, flats, claims and opinions on them. Everybody just rode their solid rubber and just got on with it. :mrgreen: :wink:
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 am

Well there you go, experiences differ. The maxxis refuse I tried was junk, no grip, punctured and developed a lump in the carcass so I binned it.
GP4000S's on the other hand have been fantastic. The very occasional puncture, can count on one hand over several years of using them, but they grip and roll well. Neither of which the maxxis did IME. :mrgreen:
They are a very popular tyre so conti must be doing something right.
warthog1

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:30 am

I'm with the op, refuse to train on day to day gp's for race although I recon pro race 4's are better again for the fast stuff. The main issue in my area is glass and lots of it.

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose

Postby reefer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:34 am

I too tried the GP4000s. 5 punctures in less than 500km then a sidewall cut that ensured a 15km walk home.

I now use Specialized all condition, no punctures in the last 1450km. Wife uses gatorskin hardshell, no issues there either.

We ride the same 30km loop all year. Smooth roadside bitumen around the city.

I agree that the GP4000s are a fantastically fast sticky tyre but they are by no means punter resistant, look at their construction. YOU may be lucky and not get a puncture, thats a different issue.

Up here, with the mindless population who consider the roadside a recycling depot for glass, I will stick to tyres that at least have some design of puncture resistance.
reefer

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:00 am

Further explanation: I went with the 4000's as a commuting tyre because of their low rolling resistance and sublime wet weather grip. I did get quite a few punctures, but from pinch flats off potholes and footpath concrete panel joins when I felt the need to retreat off the road thanks to grumpy traffic.

For commuting purposes I have put them to one side and put the 26" x 2.1's back on. Sure, I'm not setting any Strava PRs since doing so, but I'm working just as hard for training effort and having a bit more fun playing with obtacles and kerbs .. and no more pinch flats.

With the roadie I am planning on building, I will likely stick with the GP4000s, albeit with a 25mm casing.

Lowsiding in wet weather sucks.
trailgumby

Postby spirito » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:43 pm

I can't believe threads like this still exist. Tyres are a compromise, there is no one perfect tyre.
You choose qualities that are important to your preferences.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.
spirito

Postby Marty Moose » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:39 pm

spirito wrote:I can't believe threads like this still exist. Tyres are a compromise, there is no one perfect tyre.

The reason they exist is because people post in them, both there opinions and experiences..................

Sent from my MB526 using Tapatalk 2
Marty Moose

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:42 pm

spirito wrote:I can't believe threads like this still exist. Tyres are a compromise, there is no one perfect tyre.

Just sharing my experiences...

Caveat emptor...
brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:44 pm

I actually really love riding the gp4000's and think I will put them on a set of light weight wheels and use them for daytime clean road riding!

I will put a set of re-fuses on the stock wheels and use them for commuting and night time riding when I am not so sure of the road quality.

Oh and "bogan dust" in the funniest thing I have read in a while... :-)
brett.hooker

Postby Baalzamon » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:47 pm

So you got a sidewall gash. Not many tyres would withstand that, not even schwalbe marathon plus. The only one that would withstand that is a solid tyre. I've ridden GP4000's for thousands of km's and they have stood up very well and only pinch flatted.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:04 pm

brett.hooker wrote:Oh and "bogan dust" in the funniest thing I have read in a while... :-)

Yes. This.

Pity it's not really made of crushed bogan.
trailgumby

Postby brett.hooker » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Actually, the re-fuses have withstood two side wall gashes.

Again, just sharing real experiences with tyres actually used...

The re-fuses are definitely heavier and slower rolling, but I have come home after 100km rides on them to find slices on the side walls and shards of glass embedded in the rolling surface and have not lost a tube.

The gp4000 side walls could never stand a side wall hit/slice. Thought the might, but they can't.

So, based my usage, I will keep the gp4000's for when I know the roads are clean and when I want some extra speed and better rolling resistance. For nights and rougher roads, I will use the re-fuses.

Cheers!
brett.hooker

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:26 pm

i rode 6000 kms commuting from Brookfield to Brisbane on GP4000s without a puncture.

I thought they were noticably faster than my previsous tyres too.

I ride a velomobile with 20" wheels now, but if I was to go back to a road bike, I'd be sticking to the GP4000s.
Rhubarb

Postby rkelsen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:22 pm

brett.hooker wrote:The gp4000 side walls could never stand a side wall hit/slice. Thought the might, but they can't.

I got a puncture in my front one on its maiden voyage. It had done all of 9 km.

But none since then. They're a comfortable tyre to ride on.
rkelsen

Next

Return to The Shed