Help With Rear Mech Hanger Please! - Trek Carbon Frame

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Help With Rear Mech Hanger Please! - Trek Carbon Frame

Postby Paul W » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:32 pm

Gday all!

I was out riding earlier, had about 15 mins of riding to go when all of a sudden I feel the chain let go, I hear my spokes being jammed and I come to a skidding halt - upright :)

Thinking I had just busted a spoke, I was shocked to see my rear mech (Dura Ace) had been ripped out of it's housing. During this process it has bent the rear mech hanger on my 2000 Trek Carbon Frame that I now see a crack in the hanger as well as stripping the thread somewhat. The jockey wheels on my rear mech are rooted having ripped a couple of teeth off. Surprisingly the tuff DT Swiss spokes held together on the rear wheel, although show battlescars!

I've googled about replacement rear mech hangers but can't seem to find if my frame is suitable for such a repair. Could anyone with such knowledge please let me know if I've just had a really expensive ride or just a bit expensive!! I sure hope it's not the end of my baby :(

Seems I can't link my pictures as it's my first msg but can msg a link if anyone has some knowledge on this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Paul W

by BNA » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 pm

BNA

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:45 pm

I had very similar thing happen to my Trek OCLV Carbon bike some years ago - it probably was even a similar vintage to yours, possibly a 1999. Basically, the hanger can get gradually out of alignment and one day it lets the derailler get just that bit too close to the spokes.

I had a local frame builder here in Perth repair it at the time. He cut off the old hanger, realigned things and fixed a replacement on. I can't remember how much it cost specifically for the repair - but you're no doubt also looking at wheel rebuild, derailleur - maybe even more of the groupset depending on how well new bits can match your old stuff.

About 12 months after I spent the $$$ on my repair the fibre around the bottom bracket began to fail and my bike developed an annoying clunk. I decided at this point to cut my losses with this frame and swap the relatively new groupset onto another frame. I sorta realised a delicate, featherweight roadie wasn't really want I wanted/needed in a bike and I purchased the Surly-Crosscheck as the rebuild project.

Kym
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Deanj » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:57 pm

You should be able to see if its replaceable, I might be mis understanding but if the hanger is replaceable it will have a small bolt (usually allan key type) attaching the hanger to the frame. Theres one on ebay for a trek but it doesn't say what model does it look like THIS.

You need to have a certain amount of posts before you can add links, if you want to PM me one I can add it for you.
Deanj

Postby Bnej » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:22 pm

HappyHumber wrote:About 12 months after I spent the $$$ on my repair the fibre around the bottom bracket began to fail and my bike developed an annoying clunk.

If the frame was developing cracks/damage in normal use you could have got a free replacement. I know a couple of people who've had replacements from Trek for bonding coming unstuck and cracks developing around the BB.

Even if you replace the frame with something else it gives you a new frame to put on ebay! ;)
Bnej

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Bnej wrote:I know a couple of people who've had replacements from Trek for bonding coming unstuck and cracks developing around the BB.

I was about the third owner of the bike, so I couldn't really attest to much of its history, nor produce any original receipts.

I've still got it hanging on the wall in my shed as a bit of a memento, but I don't think I'll bother with carbon again though.
- Kym
Please don't assume I'm on Facebook.
HappyHumber

Postby Paul W » Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:58 pm

Thanks for your quick replies!

Yep, Kym sounds like what I suspect happened to me.. I was in top gear at the time and about to jump on the pedals to scream up a hill. Both jockey wheels (one has a nice chunk in it from a spoke) on the rear mech are stuffed - but I had planned to replace it. Rear wheel needs to be tru'd but apart from that the spokes held together and no bends.

Deanj, it's definately moulded into the carbon frame and isn't bolt on :( All the replaceable hangers I've seen for sale (so far) don't match mine.

Suspicions are that maybe the bike has to have the rear hanger re-bonded by Trek unless I can find a competant mechanic to weld a new one on. I'll call a Trek dealer or two tomorrow in Melbourne and see what they say. I'm now just grateful it didn't let go when hammering down a hill!
Paul W

Postby Bnej » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:40 pm

HappyHumber wrote:I was about the third owner of the bike, so I couldn't really attest to much of its history, nor produce any original receipts.

I've still got it hanging on the wall in my shed as a bit of a memento, but I don't think I'll bother with carbon again though.

Ah, I think Trek only offers warranty for the original owner anyway.

A carbon bike is a nice thing to ride, but only if it suits the riding you're doing. I certainly wouldn't take mine commuting.
Bnej

Return to The Shed