Front derailleur dramas

Hawkeye

Front derailleur dramas

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:44 pm

On the commute in to work Thursday morning I broke the front derailleur cage, probably when I hopped the kerb at Observatory Hill when I went to check out what was on for breakfast at the BNSW "event". 'Twas obviously fatigued and it cracked through the bend near the inner pins at the top. The whack I gave the back wheel :oops: when I didn't quite get it up over the kerb must hve been enough to finally do it in.

Couldn't get an exact replacement for the Shimano Hone bottom swing unit I'd just broken, so I settled for a Deore. Not quite as stiff, but strong enough the LBS guys assure me. And it is for the commuter after all, so I don't want to overcapitalise, I'm thinking.

Trying to fit the replacement tonight, I find that seat tube the band clamp needs to sit a couple of millimetres higher to give the cage the same clearance over the chainring as the old unit.

Bugger! It just slightly fouls on the bidon cage mounts, so I've had to dremel away a little of the plastic part of the clamp shim to clear the brazing, and now can't get the second bidon cage back on the bike. :evil:

Product differentiation! Harrrrumph! :x It hasn't been warm enough for awhile for me to need two water bottles while commuting, but it could be a nuisance for warm weather / longer rides later in the year. Grrrr!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:21 pm

A few washers to jack the bidon cage out 3 or 4mm?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Postman Pat

Postby Postman Pat » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:32 am

or you could elongate the holes to slide it further up the tube

nzdans

Postby nzdans » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:33 am

I reckon Pete's on the money here, don't forget to fit longer bolts if the originals don't have enough purchase once your spacer washers are fitted.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:52 am

I have some small spacers that I think came from the old TA triple crankset I used to have - about 5 mm long and big enough for a 5 mm bolt. I use them to space out my front rack from the boss on the forks, but they'd be ideal for your bidon. I do have some spare but am in Melbourne. Maybe ask at your favourite LBS, or hunt through Bunnings for 5mm I.D. alloy tubing.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:34 pm

All good ideas, thanks guys. :D