Repair or replace - circa '01 Apollo LSX 1.3

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Repair or replace - circa '01 Apollo LSX 1.3

Postby nezumi » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:47 pm

I have an Apollo LSX 1.3 which I have owned from new, and ridden intermittently, since around 2001 (possibly older).

It has:
Acera Front Derailleur
Alvio Rear Derailleur
Shimano V-Brake shifters (no range indicators)
Alexrims x2100 wheels
Mozo front suspension fork (not siezed, but not smooth either)
7005 Aluminium frame
Kore stem and riser handlebars

At this stage I can say that at the very least the chain needs replacing, and possibly the front chainring, rear cassette and maybe the crankarms.

I am reluctant to take it to a bike shop for fear of how much needs doing. I can say it shifts hard sometimes and the chain rubs quite a bit. At least the brakes are fine.

Is it viable to rejuvenate a ridable but not great bike of this vintage, or am I better of getting a new bike on sale as the model runouts occur?
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

by BNA » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:19 pm

BNA

Re: Repair or replace - circa '01 Apollo LSX 1.3

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:19 pm

The rough shifting and chain rub will most probably be fixed by a new set of cables.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby rebilda » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Really depends on what you want to do with your bike. Is it to be a bike path commuter or fitness bike?

I certainly wouldn't be throwing buckets of money at this bike, regardless. Sure, replace the cables & the chain. Pull the front forks part & clean out all the rust, clean & lube everything else and see how it goes.

If you want to hit the trails and get some adrenaline going, maybe replacement would be more suitable. A lot has changed in bike design since 2001.
My Garage = Restored Paino - the "Fixie" - Giant Trance X2 - Azzurri Forza Pro Di2 - GT Avalanche 1 & 2
rebilda

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:15 pm

^
What he said. Possibly a nice path bike but I wouldn't be keen on trail work.

Shoot some pics of what's worrying you and put 'em up and a rough diagnosis should be possible.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby nezumi » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 am

The hard part is that the main thing worrying me is the shifting/rubbing noise while in motion. As I don't have a stand or indoor trainer it's hard to capture this sound or video.

Essentially it has never had a new chain or cassette, the front chainring seems a little out of alignment. The front derailleur seems to always have trouble finding gear, but I have no idea what to adjust first:
Replace chain
Replace cassette
Replace cables (adjust?)
Replace chainring.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:51 am

Start with the cheapest item-cables-and work your way up the list from there.

Where are you based?, someone with the skills and tools might be close enough to have a look.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby petie » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:18 pm

Definitely new cables and some adjustment will help, probably even solve the problems!

By the sounds of it you are keen to do a little of your own work. Why don't you have a go getting this up and running, then when you hit a brick wall buy yourself a new bike :grin: you will be able to change cables with simple tools and you shouldn't have to spend more than $50 on consumables to get a neglected bike rolling again. Small investment to learn a few useful skills!
petie

Return to The Shed