Finally got rid of the no-name junk on my bike !

sandman

Finally got rid of the no-name junk on my bike !

Postby sandman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:07 pm

As usual the order from Probikekit arrived without a hassle this morning, well the only hassle was crawling out of bed at 7:00am :-) I ordered a set of Ultegra brakes to replace the last piece of "no-name cheap bike parts" on the Scott !!! The usual hassle ensued, the cable covers wouldnt slide into the brake ends as they were too large, dang ! So off to the LBS and 1/2 hour of playing in their workshop, we had some new cables on the bike and the new brakes feel magic !

So now its a "bitsa", ranging from 105 through to Dura-Ace + Mavic Ksyrium wheels...I remember wheeling the bike out of the shop for the first time thinking this would last me for years. The guys in the shop reckoned I had worn it out in 2 months !! She just purrrrsssss 8)

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:57 pm

Nice one mate. You've got the Scott 100% ready to be replaced in a couple of days ;-). Good timing.

And what's with crawling out of bed at 7am you slacker. I was getting home from a short 40km jaunt at 5.45 this morning :-P.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:00 pm

That "No Name" brand is most likely to be called... "Tektro". :wink:
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:59 pm

Sogood, I really wouldn't know what it was though it looks to be a poor copy of the Shimano brake calipers. The screw heads had started to rust and the clamp area for the cable was plastic. Anyway, it stops very nicely and was worth the money.

Only yesterday I did a quick service on a friend's Giant OCR1 (thats what I think it was). To give it a sparkle I pulled apart the rear cassette, got out the toothbrush and degreaser and gave it a nice scrub, it was really interesting how poorly the internal spline was cut to fit onto the freewheel hub. I also noted the rust on the screws (poor plating) and already the mild buckle in both wheels and I know this guy doesn't ride off gutters. This thing is probably 6 months old and sits in a spare bedroom of the house. Its all mass produced and now I know exactly what the LBS was saying when he said " its not full 105". The front and rear derailluers are 105 but the rest is just a lucky dip :shock:

leximack

Postby leximack » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:16 pm

sounds like you have yourself a good commuter/spare bike Mr Sandman

sandman

Postby sandman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 pm

leximack wrote:sounds like you have yourself a good commuter/spare bike Mr Sandman
Still need the Ayups, red bar tape and when the mood takes me, I'll upgrade the shifters to Ultegra. You're right Don, she's a good commuter for sure !

Cheers..Pete