Lockring for cassette

opolak

Lockring for cassette

Postby opolak » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi,
I need to open my Shimano MFTZ37 cassette. I bought a shimano lockring from the bike shop and it was too big. When I returned it the bike shop mechanic mentioned that since this is a cassette that has no free cogs it uses a different cassette removal tool. He offered to open it for me at the price of 12$ :twisted:
SO, What is the right cassette removal tool?
And while we are here? I wan to fix the hub. Do you know the size and number of ball bearings for matrix 550 back wheel.

queequeg

Re: Lockring for cassette

Postby queequeg » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:41 pm

opolak wrote:Hi,
I need to open my Shimano MFTZ37 cassette. I bought a shimano lockring from the bike shop and it was too big. When I returned it the bike shop mechanic mentioned that since this is a cassette that has no free cogs it uses a different cassette removal tool. He offered to open it for me at the price of 12$ :twisted:
SO, What is the right cassette removal tool?
And while we are here? I wan to fix the hub. Do you know the size and number of ball bearings for matrix 550 back wheel.
Sounds like it is a freewheel, not a cassette. You'll need a freewheel removal tool instead, like the Park Tool FR-1
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:18 pm

The tool you need is a freewheel remover. Superficially similar to a cassette lockring tool, but with shallower splines. I hope your initial sentence was just a misunderstanding of what you're trying to do, because opening a freewheel is not a job for the faint-hearted, with spring-loaded ratchet pawls & about 1 hundred loose ball bearings in there! :shock: (That job requires a different tool anyway). Removing the freewheel from the hub will keep all those bits safely contained within the cluster.

Inside the hub you will need 18 x 1/4" ball bearings, nine per side.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:26 pm

Confirmed 7 speed freewheel not a cassette.
MFTZ37

What do you mean by 'open'?
Pulling freewheels apart is an exercise in frustration and is not recommended even for experienced mechanics.

If it is crunchy and not spinning freely spray some WD40 or similar into the gap between the cogs and the inner workings and give it a spin. That'll achieve the best results for minimum effort. (Next is to pull the freewheel off and do the same thing from the back). Once it is turning freely drip some oil in the same way.

Spend the $12 if you need to remove it, the chances are that the thing is frozen on and will only come free with the application of a lot of force. Let someone else risk their knuckles.

Cheers,

Cameron

opolak

Postby opolak » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks guys for your help.
Good to know what I am looking for and what I have.
I am simply trying to replace broken spokes from the back wheel. I have to remove the freewheel for that matter. The problem I faced was that I had the wrong tool to remove the cluster and when I took out the skewer, the hub was apparently exposed and few of the ball bearings inside got lost.
The bike is too cheap for a overhaul and I will either buy a new wheel, new bike or fix it myself for the experience.
I'll keep you posted of the results,
Thanks,
Homer

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:23 pm

opolak wrote:The problem I faced was that I had the wrong tool to remove the cluster and when I took out the skewer, the hub was apparently exposed and few of the ball bearings inside got lost.
This I do not understand ??

Did you get the cluster off or not? If you did, then you had the right tool.

If you did not, then there is no way that removing the skewer* would have resulted in ball-bearings fallling out. Your loss of ball-bearings must be due to some other problems with the hub.

* You remove the skewer before fitting the tool anyway, then clamp it back on to hold the cluster-removing tool.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:42 pm

Did the OP remove the "cones" off the axle? Hence loose balls.