Stuck chainring bolt

LG
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:44 am

Advice please, I have a chainring bolt (steel) I can't remove. The chainring bolt and nut spins freely on the crank. I did have a park tools chainring nut spanner for holding the nut while turning the allen key, but it bent then broke (was never impressed by the design/manufacture of this tool).

2 questions - any cunning technique for holding the slotted chainring nut while turning the bolt when I don't have a specific tool (and no, there's not enough of a protruding lip for vice grips)? Also, which tool do you recommend, I'm not keen on getting the park tool again?
LG = Low Gear

}SkOrPn--7
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 am

I know mine I'm able to use two hex keys on the bolt and nut.... The nut that has the slots for that tool you broke it's a smaller hex key so just double check yours if you can do the same.

Ricky

LG
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 am

Sadly no, mine is mid 80s gear, the modern design of 2 hex heads on chainring bolts/nuts is an improvement.
LG = Low Gear

}SkOrPn--7
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:02 am

Ok do you have an easy out tool set? place the easy out on the slot side and try again but give it a dose of WD40 and let sink in for 10 min then give it another shot of WD40 LG

Ricky

LG
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:18 am

Hmmm, interesting thought, I have an easy out at my work. But as the hollow chainring bolt goes all the way through to the inner end of the nut, I can't see how it would engage to allow removal. I think the easy out would only engage with the bolt which can already be spun using the allen key, it's just a bugger the nut spins as well. Thanks for the ideas though.
LG = Low Gear

}SkOrPn--7
Posts: 2399
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 am

LG Dremel the head off it's going to be knackered anyway.

Ricky

User avatar
foo on patrol
Posts: 6079
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Sanstone Point QLD

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Or drive a chisel into one side and drill out the other, I'm not ruff! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
Image

LG
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Actually, your cold chisel suggestion makes me think I could clamp the allen key in my vice, install onto chainring bolt and try to tap the nut counter-clockwise with a screwdriver (I don't have a small enough cold chisel). Worth a try and if it doesn't work, well it's ready for the drill :D .

Any recommended brand of chainring spanner tool?
LG = Low Gear

User avatar
trailgumby
Posts: 12622
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:18 pm

I have the Park Tools one. I know you've said you're not keen on it but you're only supposed to use 5-6Nm force on them at most... it should be good enough.
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. -- Galatians 6:9 ESV

LG
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:25 pm

It had been enough on numerous bolts until I found one that was (is) stuck, then it broke. The bolt had probably been in place for nearly 20 years. Now I'm in the market, I'd rather buy a tool built to last and take a bit of punishment.
LG = Low Gear

Dr_Mutley
Posts: 2530
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Flagstaff Hill, Adelaide SA 5159
Contact:

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:11 am

Drill out and replace?

Milky4130
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:45 am

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby Milky4130 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:05 am

Image I assume you are talking about this nut. Get someone to hold the nut from turning using a flat screw driver while you turn with the Allen key but not before you have saturated it with WD40.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

LG
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly the lip of the bolt extends into the notch in the nut making it unsuitable for a screwdriver (don't think I'd be able to hold it from twisting anyway given it was tight enough to break my Park tool).

Thought I might give making one of these a go http://urbanvelo.org/diy-chainring-bolt-tool/ - If not my drill will be in use...
LG = Low Gear

User avatar
OnTrackZeD
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby OnTrackZeD » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:28 am

LG wrote:your cold chisel suggestion makes me think I could clamp the allen key in my vice, install onto chainring bolt and try to tap the nut counter-clockwise with a screwdriver (I don't have a small enough cold chisel).


You can do this with a thin nail punch (not a pin punch) on the chainring slot and maybe with another mate using a small flat blade screwdriver at the same time, if its very stubborn.

LG
Posts: 1570
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Southeast Tasmania

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 am

OnTrackZeD wrote:
LG wrote:your cold chisel suggestion makes me think I could clamp the allen key in my vice, install onto chainring bolt and try to tap the nut counter-clockwise with a screwdriver (I don't have a small enough cold chisel).


You can do this with a thin nail punch (not a pin punch) on the chainring slot and maybe with another mate using a small flat blade screwdriver at the same time, if its very stubborn.

Well it worked quite well :D , allen key in vice then tapped the nut with a hammer/screwdriver. Nut is knackered, bolt still usable, crank undamaged, so all is good. Drill put away :( , but will still make a cog based tool for use until I need to order a bulk amount of gear online and will include an appropriate tool.
LG = Low Gear

Milky4130
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:45 am

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby Milky4130 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 pm

LG wrote:
OnTrackZeD wrote:
LG wrote:your cold chisel suggestion makes me think I could clamp the allen key in my vice, install onto chainring bolt and try to tap the nut counter-clockwise with a screwdriver (I don't have a small enough cold chisel).


You can do this with a thin nail punch (not a pin punch) on the chainring slot and maybe with another mate using a small flat blade screwdriver at the same time, if its very stubborn.

Well it worked quite well :D , allen key in vice then tapped the nut with a hammer/screwdriver. Nut is knackered, bolt still usable, crank undamaged, so all is good. Drill put away :( , but will still make a cog based tool for use until I need to order a bulk amount of gear online and will include an appropriate tool.
well done I'm glad you got it sorted then. Go for alloy bolts & nuts next time, like in the pic i posted, the newer ones have space to put Allen key in both sides i.e. front & back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

User avatar
Duck!
Expert
Posts: 6045
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Grease the threads too. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users