Stuck chainring bolt

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Stuck chainring bolt

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:44 am

Advice please, I have a chainring bolt (steel) I can't remove. The chainring bolt and nut spins freely on the crank. I did have a park tools chainring nut spanner for holding the nut while turning the allen key, but it bent then broke (was never impressed by the design/manufacture of this tool).

2 questions - any cunning technique for holding the slotted chainring nut while turning the bolt when I don't have a specific tool (and no, there's not enough of a protruding lip for vice grips)? Also, which tool do you recommend, I'm not keen on getting the park tool again?
LG = Low Gear
LG

by BNA » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 am

BNA

Re: Stuck chainring bolt

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:48 am

I know mine I'm able to use two hex keys on the bolt and nut.... The nut that has the slots for that tool you broke it's a smaller hex key so just double check yours if you can do the same.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 am

Sadly no, mine is mid 80s gear, the modern design of 2 hex heads on chainring bolts/nuts is an improvement.
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:02 am

Ok do you have an easy out tool set? place the easy out on the slot side and try again but give it a dose of WD40 and let sink in for 10 min then give it another shot of WD40 LG

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:18 am

Hmmm, interesting thought, I have an easy out at my work. But as the hollow chainring bolt goes all the way through to the inner end of the nut, I can't see how it would engage to allow removal. I think the easy out would only engage with the bolt which can already be spun using the allen key, it's just a bugger the nut spins as well. Thanks for the ideas though.
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 am

LG Dremel the head off it's going to be knackered anyway.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:38 pm

Or drive a chisel into one side and drill out the other, I'm not ruff! :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km
foo on patrol

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:03 pm

Actually, your cold chisel suggestion makes me think I could clamp the allen key in my vice, install onto chainring bolt and try to tap the nut counter-clockwise with a screwdriver (I don't have a small enough cold chisel). Worth a try and if it doesn't work, well it's ready for the drill :D .

Any recommended brand of chainring spanner tool?
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:18 pm

I have the Park Tools one. I know you've said you're not keen on it but you're only supposed to use 5-6Nm force on them at most... it should be good enough.
trailgumby

Postby LG » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:25 pm

It had been enough on numerous bolts until I found one that was (is) stuck, then it broke. The bolt had probably been in place for nearly 20 years. Now I'm in the market, I'd rather buy a tool built to last and take a bit of punishment.
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby Dr_Mutley » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:11 am

Drill out and replace?
Dr_Mutley

Postby Milky4130 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:05 am

Image I assume you are talking about this nut. Get someone to hold the nut from turning using a flat screw driver while you turn with the Allen key but not before you have saturated it with WD40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Milky4130

Postby LG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks for the suggestion, but sadly the lip of the bolt extends into the notch in the nut making it unsuitable for a screwdriver (don't think I'd be able to hold it from twisting anyway given it was tight enough to break my Park tool).

Thought I might give making one of these a go http://urbanvelo.org/diy-chainring-bolt-tool/ - If not my drill will be in use...
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby OnTrackZeD » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:28 am

LG wrote:your cold chisel suggestion makes me think I could clamp the allen key in my vice, install onto chainring bolt and try to tap the nut counter-clockwise with a screwdriver (I don't have a small enough cold chisel).

You can do this with a thin nail punch (not a pin punch) on the chainring slot and maybe with another mate using a small flat blade screwdriver at the same time, if its very stubborn.
OnTrackZeD

Postby LG » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 am

OnTrackZeD wrote:
LG wrote:your cold chisel suggestion makes me think I could clamp the allen key in my vice, install onto chainring bolt and try to tap the nut counter-clockwise with a screwdriver (I don't have a small enough cold chisel).

You can do this with a thin nail punch (not a pin punch) on the chainring slot and maybe with another mate using a small flat blade screwdriver at the same time, if its very stubborn.

Well it worked quite well :D , allen key in vice then tapped the nut with a hammer/screwdriver. Nut is knackered, bolt still usable, crank undamaged, so all is good. Drill put away :( , but will still make a cog based tool for use until I need to order a bulk amount of gear online and will include an appropriate tool.
LG = Low Gear
LG

Postby Milky4130 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:49 pm

LG wrote:
OnTrackZeD wrote:

Well it worked quite well :D , allen key in vice then tapped the nut with a hammer/screwdriver. Nut is knackered, bolt still usable, crank undamaged, so all is good. Drill put away :( , but will still make a cog based tool for use until I need to order a bulk amount of gear online and will include an appropriate tool.
well done I'm glad you got it sorted then. Go for alloy bolts & nuts next time, like in the pic i posted, the newer ones have space to put Allen key in both sides i.e. front & back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Milky4130

Postby Duck! » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:57 pm

Grease the threads too. :)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Return to The Shed