Giant Cypress Suspension Forks question.

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Giant Cypress Suspension Forks question.

Postby tekapo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:33 pm

I am playing around with the forks on a Giant Cypress. The fork is a Suntour NEX4610

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/dstore ... html?sid=1

Now, there are two nuts and threaded bolts at the bottom of the forks. What are these nuts for? and How tight/torque applied should they be? I checked them for tightness, and tried to tighten them up, but it seems to go on for ever. I am guessing they are some sort of pretension/adjustment nut???

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
tekapo

by BNA » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:00 pm

BNA

Re: Giant Cypress Suspension Forks question.

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:00 pm

Not familiar with them but it is possible that they are what stops the lowers falling off.

Have you dug around in THIS page?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby tekapo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:18 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Not familiar with them but it is possible that they are what stops the lowers falling off.

Have you dug around in THIS page?

Thanks, found the exploded diagram in their workshop book, I think it adjusts the preload on the rebound rubber as well as holding everything in. That's why there doesn't seem to be a bottom when I was tightening the nut. Although when I took the nut off earlier, it doesn't seem to come off, maybe something else is holding it as well.

Now I guess I just play around with the preload to adjust the rebound? Would it be correct to say that a higher pretension = stronger rebound? Anyways, right now the nut is probably tighter by about 1-2mm than what it as previously, I'll have a ride and see if I can feel any difference.
tekapo

Postby Duck! » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:24 am

tekapo wrote:
Now I guess I just play around with the preload to adjust the rebound? Would it be correct to say that a higher pretension = stronger rebound?

No, the preload adjustment only alters the compression rate of the spring. The fork in the Cypress is a pretty basic setup, and doesn't have rebound adjustment of any sort; even with minimal preload on the spring it'll still kick back pretty hard.

The bolts/nuts on the tips do simply hold the whole thing together, but you need something with a really long extension to get to the other end of the bolts deep inside the fork to stop them spinning.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Return to The Shed