Headset Install?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Headset Install?

Postby Crawf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:12 pm

Hiya, in the middle of building up my bike and have a small issue with the headset, its a threadless 1 1/8.
The headset came with no instructions and took me a little while to get in the right sequence, however - now the top 'cap' doesn't seem to expand and tighten like I assume it should within the steerer tube?
When I tighten the cap thats pictured it just turns

Crawf

by BNA » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 pm

BNA

Postby il padrone » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:15 pm

You need to fit the stem bolt through this top cap to a 'star fangled nut'

http://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

"Aheadset" style threadless headsets, the most common type, require a threaded fastener, such as a Star Fangled Nut to be installed inside the steerer.
This type of headset must be used with a special handlebar stem that clamps on to the outside of the steerer, either with one or more binder bolts, or other means. The stem is further secured by a plastic or metal cap which is bolted to the star nut.

To adjust an "Aheadset"-type headset, the stem binder must be loosened, then the bolt that runs through the cap to the starnut is tightened, usually with a 5 mm Allen wrench. This presses the stem down against the tapered bushing that fits inside the adjustable cup. and takes up the slack in the system. The stem is then aligned with the front wheel and tightened with its binder bolts. (Once the stem binder bolts have been tightened, the adjusting bolt that goes to the star nut is under no significant stress, and may even be removed.)

And I think your steerer tube may need to be cut shorter, or have spacers on top of the stem, so the top cap can bear down on something other than the steerer tube
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Crawf » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:48 pm

Cheers, got me on the right track.
I've pulled the cap apart and forced it to expand, it now grabbing the inside of the steerer and tightening.

Yes I know the steerer needs a trim, still tinkering with the bike though though :)
Crawf

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:54 am

Don't forget this bit of Pete's advice.
il padrone wrote: And I think your steerer tube may need to be cut shorter, or have spacers on top of the stem, so the top cap can bear down on something other than the steerer tube

It sounds like you're tinkering with height settings before cutting the steerer - a damn good idea! Just don't forget to use spacers to give the top cap something to bear on as your're doing it. :wink:
It looks like you have a carbon steerer - I had trouble getting the star-nut to grip in the steerer on my Litespeed and had to epoxy it in place. My symptoms were that the headset came loose with riding and I was continually having to tighten it - until I ran out of thread on the top cap bolt.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby alchemist » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:12 am

il padrone wrote:You need to fit the stem bolt through this top cap to a 'star fangled nut'

No he doesn't. Looks very much like a carbon steerer so it will use a compression plug which can be seen attached to the top cap in the top right of the picture. When installing the plug you need to make sure it has some bite on the sides of the steerer when you put it in.
alchemist

Postby LuckyPierre » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:28 am

alchemist wrote: ... No he doesn't. Looks very much like a carbon steerer so it will use a compression plug which can be seen attached to the top cap in the top right of the picture. When installing the plug you need to make sure it has some bite on the sides of the steerer when you put it in.

My fork came 'bare' - and I just used the parts that came with my headset. I'll have to look into replacing the star-nut with a compression plug.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Postby Crawf » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:12 pm

alchemist wrote:
il padrone wrote:You need to fit the stem bolt through this top cap to a 'star fangled nut'

No he doesn't. Looks very much like a carbon steerer so it will use a compression plug which can be seen attached to the top cap in the top right of the picture. When installing the plug you need to make sure it has some bite on the sides of the steerer when you put it in.

Alchemist is correct. Compression plug was the word that eluded me initially.
The compression plug wasn't expanding, all sorted now.
Crawf

Postby Crawf » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:33 pm

There seems to be way to much play in the headset and steerer tube when everything is tightened up. Certainly not safe enough ride on
Any tips on keeping it tight when assembling?
Crawf

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:39 pm

At a guess Jacobite, something's been fitted wrong. Super easy to do with some headsets.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:42 pm

:idea: Heres a thought...

You are tightening the top cap to the correct adjustment before tightening the stem bolts aren't you?

Top cap adjusts the bearing play, stem bolts lock it all together.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Crawf » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:51 pm

The frame already had some headset bearings pre installed, have just tapped them out and used the all Token bits I purchased, it never came with any instructions either. Which is a little confusing at first if you've never assembled before, as there doesn't seem to be a distinct logical order to the bearings and washers.
3rd time reshuffle 'n re jig feels all secure now... :D... I hope!
Crawf

Postby Dunk » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:59 pm

alchemist wrote:

Unless of course it's a Cannondale. For some reason known only to Cannondale, they use a Star Fangle Nut in carbon steerer's. To be an absolute pain the @ss they also deem it necessary to be installed 40mm down the tube, meaning my Park Tool won't work and I'll need to get the Cannondale Nut Setting tool for approx $90.[/rant]
Dunk

Postby glawrence2000 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:07 pm

Try looking on the internet for an exploded view of the headset. It's faily important to put the bearings and weather seals in the correct order and way up.
Here's one for a Cane Creek S8 - should be fairly similar "http://www.canecreek.com/images/stories/products/headsets/man_cc_head/S-series_instr_01-10-2005.pdf"

Ensure the steerer tube and inside of the stem clamping arrangement are free from grease and oil.

Tighten up the headset using the top cap into the steerer tube; align your steering and then tighten the stem bolts a lot, alternating from side to side to keep the pressue even.

You will need to get these super tight so that you don;t experience the headset loosening off.

You may have to adjust it after a bit of riding as things 'bed in'.
G
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.
glawrence2000

Return to The Shed