specailized nice bike but......

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

specailized nice bike but......

Postby barney all fixed » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:18 pm

hello all craig here , have just discovered that a very sad part of owning what i think is a terrific bike 2011 pro transition tt bicycle is.....SERVICE OR PARTS ???
you must go directly to specailized to get any parts or work done as a bloke at a bike shop in campbelltown brought to my attention .

so travel all over the country side ask the specailized brothers - apparently( gee mike , gooday mal)

my technicality and problem with my bike is the allen key bolts and springs to locate back wheel !!
i have the standard stainless bolts with springs now the springs are 5mm short of keeping tension on this bolt and the bolt is only 19mm in thread and when wound all the way out my cxp 700c mavic satndard wheel just clears the shape of frame by 2mm admittedly i have 25mm wide continetals and use 110psi to firm ride .
went to this shop at campbelltown asked a bloke and he said let me look and see if we can fix ( unfortunately same as before)

so he told me the joys of this brand and backup is......................................... :roll: .

so i will hit ashfield cycles up and see what i can do

the main problem is the bolts and springs are too short i need bolts 4mm metric thread and 35 mm long so 8 to 10 mm is inside the retained thread and spring needs to be 10 to 12mm long and compress just enough as this will locate my rear wheel better i hope

ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS MUCH FUN??
I do not wish to do the brand in or say bad things as i thought it was quite good and looked very nice rides like a 5yr old in a toy shop , goes where you want and feels very smooth and hands off is very stable , i would say geometry is setup extremely well , just like an old cannondale and i like them too .

cheers craig
barney all fixed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm

by BNA » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

BNA
 

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby RonK » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:38 pm

What on earth are you on about?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby barney all fixed » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:15 pm

apparently repairs to your specailized frame or mechanicals should be done only by a specailized authorised dealer some bike shops have tryed to get parts for a specailized bike and they wont sell outside of their own official repair authorised dealers even other bike shops send the repair to them and then send it to the shop requesting the repair and wont give any info on parts or how they repair their own brands.
so i found out today
barney all fixed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby Marx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 pm

I would be very interested to see a photo of the bit thats wrong.
-----------------------
A bike and a place to ride.
User avatar
Marx
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Kensington Melbourne Australia

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:47 pm

Not 100% sure what you are talking about, but I think you are talking about the setting screw in the horizontal dropouts right... 4 mm threaded bolts can be gotten from any hardware shop in pretty much any length... so can spacers. Get a bolt 5 to 10 mm longer and 10 spacers to pack out the spring tension.
Image
User avatar
toolonglegs
 
Posts: 14327
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 pm
Location: Somewhere with padded walls and really big hills!

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby MarkG » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:07 am

RonK wrote:What on earth are you on about?


Gold!
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby briztoon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:26 am

Not totally irrelevant, but doesn't Specialized warranty require any work to be done by a Specialized dealer? Have a non dealer work on your bike and all warranty is void.
Image
briztoon
 
Posts: 1236
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am
Location: Belmont, Brisbane

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:36 am

briztoon wrote:Not totally irrelevant, but doesn't Specialized warranty require any work to be done by a Specialized dealer? Have a non dealer work on your bike and all warranty is void.


That theory doesn't work with cars, so it shouldn't work with bikes
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby DoubleSpeeded » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:09 pm

MarkG wrote:
RonK wrote:What on earth are you on about?


Gold!



LOL
DoubleSpeeded
 
Posts: 440
Joined: Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:18 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby Duck! » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:36 pm

briztoon wrote:Not totally irrelevant, but doesn't Specialized warranty require any work to be done by a Specialized dealer? Have a non dealer work on your bike and all warranty is void.

Complete bunkum. Pretty much all the manufacturers will say something like that, but for general servicing it doesn't affect anything. The only time you need to go through an authorised dealer, whether that's Specialized, Giant, anyone, is if there's a warranty issue that the importer/distributor needs to assess and process, 'cos in those cases they'll only work through the authorised dealer network.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby Pottsy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:13 pm

barney all fixed wrote:apparently repairs to your specailized frame or mechanicals should be done only by a specailized authorised dealer some bike shops have tryed to get parts for a specailized bike and they wont sell outside of their own official repair authorised dealers even other bike shops send the repair to them and then send it to the shop requesting the repair and wont give any info on parts or how they repair their own brands.
so i found out today


imagine taking your holden into a ford dealership & asking them to get you a holden part, what to you think they will say?
Pottsy
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby hudnut » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Pottsy wrote:
barney all fixed wrote:apparently repairs to your specailized frame or mechanicals should be done only by a specailized authorised dealer some bike shops have tryed to get parts for a specailized bike and they wont sell outside of their own official repair authorised dealers even other bike shops send the repair to them and then send it to the shop requesting the repair and wont give any info on parts or how they repair their own brands.
so i found out today


imagine taking your holden into a ford dealership & asking them to get you a holden part, what to you think they will say?


"Go to Repco..."

:-)
hudnut
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue May 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby Baldy » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:39 am

DoubleSpeeded wrote:
MarkG wrote:
RonK wrote:What on earth are you on about?


Gold!



LOL


The 3 Stooges :roll:
Baldy
 
Posts: 1669
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby MarkG » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:50 am

Baldy wrote:
DoubleSpeeded wrote:
MarkG wrote:[quote="RonK"]What on earth are you on about?


Gold!



LOL


The 3 Stooges :roll:[/quote]

The 1 douchebag?
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"
User avatar
MarkG
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: Perth, Australia

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby barney all fixed » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:13 pm

ok all sorted easy southern fasteners in kirrawee 4mm by 35 long 25mm spring cut in 2 screwed in to the correct 13.5mm measurements to position rear wheel and yes sir wheel is out of round by 3mm ( now fix wheel)
these bolts are kept in the back alloy U channel on end of frame with rear derailer on the specialized 2011 tt pro transition tri bike ( cant do photos )technology and craig are very difficult as some may have noticed

the original bolts and springs made for the sram groupset , which is not on mine i have shimano 6700 ultegra which also may explain wheel fitment and changes that have happened
anyhow some of us had a good laugh .
craig
barney all fixed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby dagadgetman » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Seems you're all out of punctuation, have some of mine...................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;""""""""""""""
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.
2011 Giant Defy Advanced 2
User avatar
dagadgetman
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:35 am

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby MichaelB » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:24 pm

dagadgetman wrote:Seems you're all out of punctuation, have some of mine...................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;""""""""""""""
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.



You forgot the capitals

AAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHIIIIIIJJJJJJJJJJJKKKKKKKKKKKLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPQQQQQQQQQRRRRRRRSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVVWWWWWWWWWXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
User avatar
MichaelB
 
Posts: 6824
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:29 am
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:58 pm

MichaelB wrote:
dagadgetman wrote:Seems you're all out of punctuation, have some of mine...................................,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????????????????;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;""""""""""""""
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.



You forgot the capitals

AAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCCDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFFGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHIIIIIIJJJJJJJJJJJKKKKKKKKKKKLLLLLLLLLLLMMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPQQQQQQQQQRRRRRRRSSSSTTTTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUUVVVVVVVVVVWWWWWWWWWXXXXXXXXYYYYYYYYYYZZZZZZZZZZZZ.


Everyone loves a smart a*se... Thanks for the giggle. :lol:
Image
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
User avatar
JohnJoyner
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:07 am
Location: Sydney

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby barney all fixed » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:26 pm

i can supply the comedy and laugh with or at me life is too short, but i don't mind .
wait til you see my car then you will know i am a nutter but over 6yrs of work and i have a one of!! and the bike only fits in triathlon bikes are way longer!!
do a google search and look up 1982 mazda rx7 allan moffat group c #43 car - yep mine.
:):):)
until next time peddle on kids
barney all fixed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:37 pm

^ nutbag, but a cool one (as long as it's not your daily driver)
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5587
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:22 pm

barney all fixed wrote:i can supply the comedy and laugh with or at me life is too short, but i don't mind .
wait til you see my car then you will know i am a nutter but over 6yrs of work and i have a one of!! and the bike only fits in triathlon bikes are way longer!!
do a google search and look up 1982 mazda rx7 allan moffat group c #43 car - yep mine.
:):):)
until next time peddle on kids

haha - onya craig, you sure have kept us entertained. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
User avatar
RonK
 
Posts: 5212
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Queensland

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby barney all fixed » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 pm

yes sir the car #43 rx7 is registered and drives to many events and helps with charity runs and even racing against some very rare bathurst cars from the turbo era at eastern creek 18th/19th october!!
me at 220kph turn 1 and yes undies swallowed by bum crack !!
going to have an adventure around the city of sydney this sunday!!!
enjoy the laughs , no good to sit in a corner and cry , get up and make showtime happen!!
crashing craig
barney all fixed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:05 pm

:shock: That was my favourite car when I was a kid!!!! I'd love to see iti n the flesh one day.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert
 
Posts: 1684
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 8:21 pm
Location: On The Tools

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby Pedaling » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 pm

barney all fixed wrote:i can supply the comedy and laugh with or at me life is too short, but i don't mind .
wait til you see my car then you will know i am a nutter but over 6yrs of work and i have a one of!! and the bike only fits in triathlon bikes are way longer!!
do a google search and look up 1982 mazda rx7 allan moffat group c #43 car - yep mine.
:):):)
until next time peddle on kids


Allan Moffat signed my single speed bicycle last month :D
He is a genuinely funny bloke.
Cheers,

Darrin.
"Life is just a ride" Bill Hicks
Pedaling
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 pm
Location: Botany, Sydney.

Re: specailized nice bike but......

Postby barney all fixed » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:21 pm

well if you still read this little info spot!!!
the mighty mazda rx7 did its biggest run against richards skyline and beat a factory mazda rx8 and pulled a very big 190kph in turn 1 on road tyres and by f............... did i hang on
yep fun and still sings like a demon!!!
and tomorrow arvo at 3pm specailized and me out to camden and around that way for 50ks!!!
barney all fixed
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:21 pm


Return to The Shed

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter