Giant Adjustable headstem replacement ?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Giant Adjustable headstem replacement ?

Postby kookie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a Giant OCR 1 2003 model, I was wanting to change the headstem and was wondering if anyone had done so. It isn't set up like a bike now with the headset and stem but combines the both. Is it possible to replace these with a 1" headset and stem and spacers etc ?

Any help would be great !

Cheers,

Kookie
kookie

by BNA » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:01 pm

BNA

Postby kukamunga » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:01 pm

It a weird looking set up on the OCR 1 pictured in my 2003 Giant catalogue. Looking at the specs, it is indeed an 'Alloy Adjustable Quill Type' stem, with a threaded Chromoly steerer and threaded headset, but not too sure if its a 1" (22.2mm quill) or 1 1/8" (25.4mm quill) steerer. Looks to me like a 22.2mm quill (but I could be mistaken). It should be easy to loosen, pull out quill and check (size will probably be stamped on it)

You can easily find alloy quill stems with removable faceplates in either size to replace your current, original Giant one. There are some cheap, ugly, 22.2mm stems available on special for $10 here at the moment, if you're looking at not spending much (I recently bought one). Plenty of much nicer looking ones around in varying lengths and rises in bike shops and on-line

If you are thinking of changing to a threadless/ A-head style stem and headset, you won't be able to, as steerer tube is too short to suit threaded steerer. You will need another fork with a longer unthreaded steerer to do this

You can, though, run a threadless style stem with your existing headset using a number of different quill insert adaptors. BBB make one that suits both 1" and 1 1/8" steerers and stems

Whatever you do, make sure the bar clamp size on the stem is right for your bars (more than likely 26.0/ 25.8 mm)

A bit of a strange decision for Giant to run this stem/steerer/headset combo just for the sake of an adjustable stem. A few of their 'Comfort' range that year are running 1 1/8" integrated threadless headsets with adjustable stems, but seems they couldn't find or develop one themselves to suit their OCR's in 2002/ 2003. They did get their act together in 2004, though
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby rustychisel » Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:54 pm

wot Kukamunga siad (all of it). I have a OCR3 (dunno what year exactly) and it has a 1 inch steerer. I use an ITM quill stem instead of the adjustable jobby, which is resting in a box somewhere. If a little extra weight doesn't matter to you you can easily put in a threaded to threadless adapter.
rustychisel

Postby kukamunga » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:46 am

rustychisel wrote:I have a OCR3 (dunno what year exactly)

2002 OCR 3 = yellow/silver/black; polished crankset
2003 OCR 3 = red, or white/silver; FSA black crankset
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby rustychisel » Fri Jul 04, 2008 6:07 pm

hmmmm, how about red/white/sliver, stripped to f & f, rebuilt as a fixed gear with all my components and a magic gear? It's stiff as buggery and it flies!! :P
rustychisel

Return to The Shed