Rain getting into head tube

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Postby Arlberg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:07 pm

Every time it rains my headtube fills with water. I'm not sure how its getting in, it must be getting in between the spacers on the headset or where the headset meets the headtube, but I cant see any gaps - all the spacers are close together and it seem to fit snugly where the headset goes into the frame. I only discovered this when i turned the bike upside down to clean it. It's not just a few drops either, about 1/3 of a cup runs out. Are there supposed to be drainage holes in the fork or somewhere, cos i cant see any. There is a drainage hole at the base of the downtube but the water is obviously not escaping out there. It runs out from where the headset goes into the head tube.The bike is an Azzurri Forza Pro Di2.

Any advice appeciated!

PS. Just had another look at it, could it be getting in around the allen bolt in the the top cap?
Arlberg

by BNA » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 pm

BNA

Re: Rain getting into head tube

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:20 pm

Most likely the water is collecting in the bottom bracket.

It just escapes from the head tube when the bike is inverted.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Arlberg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

OK, thanks . I hadnt thought it could be entering somewhere else.

Is it common for water be entering through the bottom bracket or anywhere else for that matter? If it is, shouldnt the water drain out of the drainage hole which is right there? It doesnt seem to be blocked because i have pushed a small Allen key into it to make sure.
Arlberg

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Yes, it is not unusual, most likely it's running down the seat post, and can cause damage to the BB as well.

After your next rainy ride try standing the bike up on the back wheel and see if water drains out the chain stays.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...
RonK

Postby Arlberg » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Will do. You have been really helpful! Thanks! Now that you've said that I just checked the bike and noticed the drainage holes at the end of the chain stays too. I might try to somehow seal around the seatpost, although there is no visible gap there either.
Arlberg

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Not sure what brand headset you have but some have a o-ring seal to stop water entering might pay to check yours and see that it isn't broken if your headset has a o-ring. The same with the cap many have a o-ring seal on that as well or water can also get in through your water bottle bolts in the frame so give them a grease and grease your seat post to stop water pouring down your seat tube.

Ricky
}SkOrPn--7

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:49 am

A greasy seatpost is an excellent way to reduce water ingress into the seattube/BB area, most of it spray from the rear wheel. A ~50-60mm length of MTB tube stretched over the post and clamp, ensuring the slot is fully covered before securing to the post with a cable tie is not pretty but a highly effective old MTBers trick.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Return to The Shed