Removing my BB30 Crankset

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Removing my BB30 Crankset

Postby RRalphy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:10 am

Hi All,

Just wanted some advice on removing my BB30 crankset as I am getting a squeaking sound and I want to clean and re-grease the BB etc. I can remove the drive side easily enough (just use a 10m hex key) but when I get to the non-drive side there is a washer kind of thing around the nut where I would insert the 10m hex key and written on the washer is "do not remove".. is this telling me I should remove that crank arm?? I will take a photo tonight and put it up to make it a bit easier to understand what I mean.

Has anyone else encountered this before? am I ok to remove the arm despite it saying not to on the washer?

Cheers
RRalphy

by BNA » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:24 am

BNA

Re: Removing my BB30 Crankset

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:24 am

What cranks do you have?

My FSA cranks have only one hex nut on the non-drive side which you loosen to remove that crank arm, and then tap the shaft through the BB 30 bearings to remove the drive side. The cap on the non-drive side is there to cover/protect the hex nut thread and the end of the shaft from moisture/dirt etc as far as I understand it, and shouldn't come off when you loosen the nut.

The bearings are a different kettle of fish and are awkward to remove/replace without the correct tools, though not impossible. I've found that removing the cranks and even the chainrings for a thorough clean and reassembly solves most creaks and grinds anyway.

Sent from my iPhinger ...
Here's my blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding not racing...."
cyclotaur

Postby RRalphy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:28 am

the cranks are sram force cranks, both sides have a hex nut opening and the drive side comes off so maybe I should just try and tap the shaft through, will have a look at this tonight thanks for the info
RRalphy

Postby Mozzar » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:14 pm

I also have sram cranks and all you need to do is undo the non-drive side and tap the shaft through with a rubber mallet. they are a 2 piece crank and therefore you dont remove the drive side crank from the shaft.
Mozzar

Postby RRalphy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:27 pm

mozzar does the non drive side have a washer saying "do not remove" though?
RRalphy

Postby Duck! » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:31 pm

The "do not remove" refers to the washer, not the crank arm. That's the crank removal ring; as you undo the bolt, it pushes against that ring to pull the crank off.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Return to The Shed