Changing pedals

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Changing pedals

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:25 pm

Having just bought Shimano SPD clipless pedals, I need to remove my existing toe clip pedals. Can someone tell me which way I unscrew the pedals ?
I thought the guy at the pedal shop told me to unscrew the left pedal anticlockwise and the right pedal clockwise. But having just watched the relevant video on biketutor.com, they say the left should unscrew clockwise and the right clockwise. Can someone confirm the the correct way of doing it before I botch another simple job? Cheers.
Insomniac

by BNA » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:29 pm

BNA

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:29 pm

right hand pedal has a conventional thread, tighten clockwise, release anticlockwise.

left hand pedal has a left hand/unconventional/"gas" thread, tighten anticlockwise, release clockwise.
twowheels

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:31 pm

have a look on the shimano pedals, they should have a little arrow showing you the direction to tighten. Same direction on your existing pedals.
Ever since the vasectomy...I mostly ride fixed.
tallywhacker

Postby Insomniac » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:33 pm

thanks ..btw I meant to type ..biketutor.com, they say the left should unscrew clockwise and the right anticlockwise
Insomniac

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:22 pm

OK, for the benefit of everybody, regardless of clocks. If it is a right hand screw thread (as most screws are) take your open right hand and point your thumb in the direction you want the screw to go (i.e. in or out). Now curl your fingers to make a fist. The direction you curl your fingers is the direction you turn the screw driver to make the screw move in the direction of your thumb.

For a left hand screw thread, you do the same thing but with your left hand.

On a bike, AFAIK, the only left hand thread is the left (non-drive side) pedal [Please correct me if I'm wrong]. Gas bottles are also left threaded which is important for the barbeque after the ride.

I teach this screw rule to my first year uni students all the time. I think it's fool proof. They seem to think memorising "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" is easier. Kids is stoopid.

David
bigfriendlyvegan

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:39 pm

Insomniac wrote:thanks ..btw I meant to type ..biketutor.com, they say the left should unscrew clockwise and the right anticlockwise

i saw one of the TV home improvement shows the other day with a segment on replacing shower heads.

the presenter advised the viewing audience to remove the old head by turning the spanner clockwise ... as the vision showed him turning the spanner anticlockwise (a-c being correct to remove water pipe thread).

i wondered how many people were madly writing down the verbal instructions or downloading the program transcript and later stripping their shower head threads!
twowheels

Postby vx255 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:22 pm

I'm a pretty simple guy *wife nods vigorously*, I turn the crank in the direction that I would normally pedal, then turn my Allen key and/or spanner in the opposite direction to that.

Me pedaling will always tighten the pedal.
Striving for mediocrity.
vx255

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:47 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:On a bike, AFAIK, the only left hand thread is the left (non-drive side) pedal [Please correct me if I'm wrong].

Oops. And rhs bottom bracket cups (on English BB cups at least) :P
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby lisanne » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:30 am

I stand behind the bike, with the rear wheel between my legs holding it up right and then I put the pedal spanner on with the handle coming towards me and I push down - this works on both pedals :D
lisanne

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:55 pm

Put the spanner or allen key on, hold it still and spin the cranks backward to tighten, forwards to loosen.

Don't forget to flip or hang the bike first :wink:

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby martinjs » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:20 pm

Take it to the LBS and say "Fix It". :lol: :lol: :P :wink:
martinjs

Postby X-wing » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:45 am

Be careful though... the guy in Biketutor.com has an American accent, so his advice will only be good for the northern hemisphere...

If water runs the opposite way down a sink in the southern hemisphere, it stands to reason that pedals will tighten the opposite way as well.

Hope that has cleared things up.

This community service announcement brought to you by your lbs. :lol:
X-wing

Postby Hawkeye » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:21 pm

How many forum members does it take to advise a newbie how unscrew a pedal? :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, lisanne's advice works for me.
Hawkeye

Return to The Shed