New SRAM chain problem

Crawf

New SRAM chain problem

Postby Crawf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Yes me again, I thought I'd just about had this bike build all sewn up.

The last thing to install was the SRAM PC1070 PowerLock chain.
Silly me thought it would fit straight on - being a 10 speed chain supplied with a 10 speed cassette :(

So now I have a new saggy useless chain that is PowerLocked and to long, doesn't seem to be a way to 'break' the chain as its a HollowPin?

Any idea's?

(The chain)

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:57 pm

did you cut the chain?.New chains usually need 6 links cut off.SRAM say their joining links don't come to bits but I have never had a problem getting them off.Will take a bit of effort when new thou.Will be fine to re-use as long as you aren't rough with it.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:13 pm

toolonglegs wrote:did you cut the chain?.New chains usually need 6 links cut off.SRAM say their joining links don't come to bits but I have never had a problem getting them off.Will take a bit of effort when new thou.Will be fine to re-use as long as you aren't rough with it.
Nope haven't touched the chain, only joined it.
Is there a specific chain tool for hollowpin chains? Looking now, but haven't come up with anything. There must be something.

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:19 pm

Funny - I tried to fit a SRAM 10 speed quick link to a Dura Ace chain and the sucker wouldn't even close... Do they intend that 10 speed links are not/less removable than the 8/8/7 speed powerlinnks?

(Is the powerlock link different to the powerlink that i've used in the past?)

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:29 pm

Yes they are different, PowerLock is one time use only. The PowerLink is reusable/reconnect able.
The 1070 model I have is only 10 speed compat, same goes for the 1090.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:39 pm

oh ok...i havent used a power lock then :roll: ...you might need another on then.Not sure of the chain length for a compact.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:37 am

Yep, the sites say that the SRAM 10sp is PowerLock and is not re-usable, whereas the 8 & 9sp ones are. Dumb.

I ended up getting some KMC links as I couldn't source the wipperman ones at a decent price.

As others have alluded, the chain needs to be shortened out of the box. Use the old chain as a guide. Shouldn't be any different tools req'd to remove a link with the SRAM chain over others, but haven't had experience with anything other than Dura Ace ones.

Cheers

singletracking

Postby singletracking » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:09 am

What is the point of a link that you can't remove? Why not make it removable?

Weird - or are 10 speed chains a bit too narrow to have the play required to make a link removable?

I too was hoping to get some KMC links, but c r c are sold out of them...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:23 pm

singletracking wrote: I too was hoping to get some KMC links, but c r c are sold out of them...
Got mine from Ribble. About AUD $7 for a card of 2 sets.

The Wipperman ones are about $12 for a set.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:27 pm

MichaelB, was yours a hollowpin chain?
I'm at a loss as to what chain tool will break it seeing as though it has no rods to push out like a normal chain?

Hollow pin

Normal

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Nope, a normal Dura Ace chain. The std chain tool should work, as the pin/rod still gets pushed out, only that it is hollow.

The mechanism on the chain breaker is such that the OD of the pin is the same as the OD of the pin link on the chain.

Can't see why it wouldn't work.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Same here, I can't see why a std chain cutter wouldn't do the trick. Bit of a pi55off that powerlock is single use :roll:

According to Shamino and a few LBS blokes I've yarned with, correct length is found by wrapping the chain around the big/big combo, ignoring the derailleurs, where the ends overlap you drop one link.

Hope that didn't sound like ruddish :?

Shain
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:30 am

Mulger bill wrote:According to Shamino and a few LBS blokes I've yarned with, correct length is found by wrapping the chain around the big/big combo, ignoring the derailleurs, where the ends overlap you drop one link.

Hope that didn't sound like ruddish :?

Shain
Wouldn't that mean that you would not be able to use the big/big combo at all as the chain would be too short ?

I've seen other versions, but so far have just used the previous chain as a guide.

The most authoritive one I have seen is that when on the big/big combo, the lower RD pulley shouldn't be in front of the upper RD pulley. :?:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:49 am

MichaelB wrote: The most authoritive one I have seen is that when on the big/big combo, the lower RD pulley shouldn't be in front of the upper RD pulley. :?:
Thats the Zinn version too. Big/big combo, the RD jockey wheels should be 'stacked' at about 90deg. This seems to work well.

I use my stock BBB chain tool on my chains. Even on the hollow pin Chorus chain it worked nicely. Just gotta be more careful with driving them back in again.

The Powerlock does seem like a daft idea. One off joining isnt really user friendly. Convenient closure with all the problems that come along with using a chain tool to break and join a chain?

Jim

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:09 pm

MichaelB wrote: Wouldn't that mean that you would not be able to use the big/big combo at all as the chain would be too short ?
I'm assuming, but I think he really meant Big/big + one link pair. That's what's described in the instructions I've got in all my recent chain replacements (I go through a few a year) and is what Zinn says in his various maintenance books as well.

Every bike I've bought or seen new in the LBS has the chain length set at least two to three chain link pairs too long. The consequence is crappy shifting and a propensity for the chain to drop off the inner ring when downshifting at the front. Why they do this I have no idea, but it seems to be a consistent pattern!

With the chain length set as described above you can still get big+big, but you have enough rear DR tension to stop the chain dropping off the inner ring, and your shifting becomes a lot crisper.

kukamunga

Postby kukamunga » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:31 pm

Big-big + 2 links, I always thought was the standard saying

laterstarter

Postby laterstarter » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:38 am

Sheldon Brown's site mentions one of the Zinn methods and has links to a video from Bicycle Tutor

http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html#chain

Also has a good discussion with pix about chain use wear etc...

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:34 pm

This might be why i think I am getting more chain slap than I thought I ought having put my SRAM chain with power lock straight on without even considering removing links ' babes in the woods' though the RD seems to be in all the right positions and I can select all 27 gears with no problems....
I also have a tendancy to jump off things at spped which probably adds to the chain slap issue.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.