Seat post is sliding down - tips?

Workshop tales, trials and disasters.
Maintenance tips, techniques and myths.
Technical discussion, description and outright lies

Seat post is sliding down - tips?

Postby skeeo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:14 pm

Recently I replaced my suspension seat post with a non-suspension.

The post was measured at the standard 27.2mm.

I purchased a new post and put it in but it won't secure and slides down even when fully secured.

I've read about how people use coke cans and the like to make the post slightly thicker, does anyone have any other options?

Alternatively, does anyone make 27.3 or 27.4 mm seat posts?
skeeo

by BNA » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:41 pm

BNA

Postby toolonglegs » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:41 pm

You may need a different or beter quality clamp.Is it lose when installed or just when you sit on it?.I had an alloy post that always slipped and as it was on a race mtb it wasn't ideal!.I took it into a automotive machine shop and asked them to knurl it lightly.Cost about $10 and it never moved again even with a pile of grease.

toolonglegs

Re: Seat post is sliding down - tips?

Postby LuckyPierre » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:44 pm

skeeo wrote:Recently I replaced my suspension seat post with a non-suspension ... was measured at the standard 27.2mm ... but it won't secure and slides down even when fully secured ...

How is your post actually secured? Does it have a quick release fitting or a seat post collar with a bolt?
If you've got the right size seat post, it really should fasten securely. If you have a quick release fitting, try tightening the nut a bit before securing it with the lever. They say that the fitting should be tight enough for the lever to leave an impression in your hand as you push it closed.
If it's a seat post bolt, make sure that the 'bolt' part is short enough that it isn't screwing into the 'nut' part as far as it can before it gets tight (if that makes sense).
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks
LuckyPierre

Re: Seat post is sliding down - tips?

Postby skeeo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:45 am

LuckyPierre wrote:If you've got the right size seat post, it really should fasten securely. If you have a quick release fitting, try tightening the nut a bit before securing it with the lever.

thanks, worked wonders, i'm a cycling noob as you can see ! :oops:
skeeo

Postby MountGower » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:23 am

Skeeo

This is not a piss take, but your wheels are held on by exactly the same type of thing. Perhaps worth checking.
MountGower

Return to The Shed